question

greglinjett avatar image
greglinjett asked

Using a Smart BMS 12/200 with a "non victron" LIFEPO4

I am looking at setting up a Lilead 200ah LIFEPO4 in my boat. I will keep the Lead starter battery and the orginal alternator, and the orginal solar charge controler (for the moment...) I am looking at a Smart BMS 12/200 to prevent burning up my alternator and also to protect the LIFEPO4 by limiting the charge voltage and also stop the system from dropping the battery voltage too low. In the product brochures it says that it is for "vitron smart batteries", so given that i am not using a Vicotron LIFEPO4 does anyone know if A) the unit will still actually work, and B) if it does then do i lose any functionality by using another battery (Seems to be some kind of sense cable on the BMS12/200 that should plug into a Victron LIFEPO4). Thanks a million, Greg

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

It means what it says. Victron only.

Use a BMS that's generic, not dedicated to Victron batteries. Depending on the BMS, you may get a limited subset of full management.

Or consider using a battery with a built in BMS that's Victron compatible.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Robert avatar image
Robert answered ·

Hello,

you can also use a DC/DC Booster with Alternator Temperature control an variable current.

Best regards Robert

2 |3000