question

marekp avatar image
marekp asked

VRM Dashboard requires reloading the page to get accurate historical data

Just recently I noticed that in order to get current "historical data" graph I have to reload the VRM page.

Graph is not updating from the moment I turned my computer on at 9AM

screen-shot-2023-04-04-at-43658-pm.pngAfter reloading the VRM page at 16:30, I get it updated.

screen-shot-2023-04-04-at-43752-pm.png

Every time I want to see the current data graph I have to reload the VRM page.

Also the left side bar is not working without reloading the page.

In order to see advanced page (or any other for that mater) I have to reload the VRM page. Without reloading nothing works.

VRM
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

More examples of faulty VRM data.

Local time 9:05 when in reality is 12:34

screen-shot-2023-04-09-at-123427-pm.png

VRM is claiming that my battery has low SOC when battery SOC is 100%

screen-shot-2023-04-09-at-123811-pm.png

0 Likes 0 ·

Another examples of how out of wack is VRM page now.

Before reload of the VRM page:

screen-shot-2023-04-09-at-55813-pm.png

After reload:

screen-shot-2023-04-09-at-55941-pm.png

Before reload of the VRM page:

screen-shot-2023-04-09-at-55846-pm.png

After reload:

screen-shot-2023-04-09-at-55924-pm.png

0 Likes 0 ·

One more.

Clicking on the left sidebar option does no do anything, but asking for opening a page with the link associated with the option, opens the page with the proper content.

screen-shot-2023-04-09-at-61214-pm.png

Only after reloading the VRM page clicking on the sidebar menu item produces the result.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you for letting us know about this bug. We want to assure you that we are actively working to fix the issue as quickly as possible. To help us better understand the problem, would you mind sharing the version of your web browser? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated in resolving this matter.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp Alex Imbrea (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

@Alex Imbrea (Victron Energy Staff)

MacOS 10.9.5
screen-shot-2023-04-10-at-75232-pm.png

Firefox (do not know how to get the vesion number) on Windows 10 machine has similar problems.

Local time updates more often but the side bar needs reload to get it working.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp marekp commented ·

Any news on when this will be fixed?

0 Likes 0 ·
11 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @MarekP

Yes, something's changed with the way it presents to a browser (I tested 3 browsers).

The most annoying thing is that it shows 'Realtime' with the blue line wiggling, but the time next to that might show an hour ago. So it's not Realtime at all. And that gives a twitch occasionally, as though it's reloading, but it's not.

Sometimes though it will actually refresh itself, but I don't have the patience for that. Whatever they've done, I hope they're aware of it and are working on a fix.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @JohnC

Yes you are correct the "local time" is also out of wack.

I also noticed that the graphs inside boxes on dashboard are also not updated until the page reload.

I hope that the numbers inside those boxes are correct but I am now not so sure.

To summarize, I have now zero confidence in data shown on the VRM page.

Anyone from VRM development team feel free to explain what is happening.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi both, noted! I’ll get the developers to look at this.

And thank you for reporting.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

I also reported this below, and a change from wifi to cable 'sorta' fixed it. But VRM hasn't been the same for me since last Monday.. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/197628/vrm-dashboard-frozen-data.html?childToView=197640#comment-197640

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Will this problem get fixed?

Do I have to reload the VRM page every time to see correct data?

Battery is charged to 100% but VRM tells me that SoC is low.

screen-shot-2023-04-27-at-24446-pm.pngAfter reload.

screen-shot-2023-04-27-at-24726-pm.pngBefore reload.
screen-shot-2023-04-27-at-24539-pm.pngAfter reload.

screen-shot-2023-04-27-at-24738-pm.pngCurrent FireFox release.

1 comment
2 |3000

The really disconcerting thing is that the animated 'Realtime wiggler' persists relentlessly on an otherwise totally dead page. This is a bad look, and I feel for anyone unaware, and possibly making decisions based on old data.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Imbrea (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Alex Imbrea (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @MarekP,

Today we released improvements regarding data reloads and updates in Firefox and Safari. Especially when coming back to the page after a while. Could you please let us know if you still encounter the freezes and update delays?

Thank you!

4 comments
2 |3000

For the last 3 hours I was trying to find any improvement but managed to find only one. The "local time" is correct more often than before. Not exact but closer.

THe VRM page is working OK only after reload.

If I come back to the VRM page couple minutes after the reload it is very sluggish and unresponsive.

The longer this delay in accesing the page is the longer I have to wait for any reaction to my selections.

Analyze this sequence:

1. I am at dashboard page and selecting advanced on the left bar.screen-shot-2023-05-10-at-75339-pm.png2. I am waiting and waiting and waiting and finally after around 8 minutes this screen appears:

screen-shot-2023-05-10-at-80210-pm.png

3. As you can see the system is not done yet showing me the advanced screen. I am than waiting and waiting and waiting and after another 7 minutes page starts updating the rest of the information:

screen-shot-2023-05-10-at-80902-pm.png

4. The information is sort of complete except couple graphs are missing.

screen-shot-2023-05-10-at-80944-pm.png

5. To go back to dashboard takes the same tedious process.

But if I reload the page everything is very quick for minute or two. Even the interaction with the graph inside the box happens.

To summarize this long post.

I do not thing whatever you did fixed the problem. Unfortunately.

Best Regards,

Marek

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ marekp commented ·

I can't see much change either (latest Firefox). @MarekP might be right about the Local time being 'more correct', but when I see this on the Advanced page.. 1683795174632.png..I don't expect the graphs to be hours old. Page refresh necessary to get back to the old 5 min lag on the graphs (i can wear that), but even then I get what's described here.. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/203817/solar-charger-graph-says-old-data-in-title.html (Why does it send you to Device List?)

Prior to the page refresh the link to Dashboard doesn't work, the page is dead, except for the Realtime wiggler. Finally get to Dashboard with the same wiggler, I don't trust it. The Marine MFD app I know for sure works on local time, so I use that to look at instantaneous figures.

I love my VRM, but it seems to have lost track of time..

0 Likes 0 ·
1683795174632.png (2.5 KiB)
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·
hey both, we're working on several fixes that I expect to go out latest tomorrow; and of which I have confidence that they'll sort various performance related issues.

I'll make a new post, or comment here, once they are live.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hey both, three improvements were deployed today, of which I think for sure the first one will improve the behaviour described by you:

—-

• Dashboard: Improve the performance (reduce cpu & memory use) of rendering the real time data updates to the “Detailed” fold-outs on the Dashboard. This is part of ongoing work: more improvements to fix out-of-date / slow performing VRM Portal pages are expected in the coming days.

• Custom widgets: Fix the legend and series colors being duplicated for the same device type.

• Production report: fix broken generator run hours

—-

From: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:change_log

The next change that we’re working on is to stop all cpu hungry tasks when a browser tab is clicked away / not visible.

Like disabling real time data connections, stopping background refresh of graphs, and so forth.

And then immediately resume that once tab is made visible again.

I expect those changes to make a big improvement; ie fix complaints where a browser tab thats showing VRM gets stuck after being made invisible for a while.

Webbrowsers are getting smarter, to save laptop battery power and such, and “punish” websites that eat a lot of resources; especially when those website do so while not open/visible to the user.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey both.

As already commented we released various improvements for this yesterday.

And a significant further improvement today, which according to all testing solves the issue.

We do have some further improvements that can be made, but meanwhile I’m expecting that you already see good improvements, or even that its basically case solved already.

Details of improvements made are here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:change_log

Have a good weekend!

8 comments
2 |3000

@mvader (Victron Energy

Maybe I am expecting to much, but even thou in some areas is better in others I see no improvements.

First I describe my setup.

I have two computers always connected to VRM page.

One is a Mac pro running OS 10.9.5 restarted once a day

On it I have VRM page, two Fronius pages, two other VRM pages of the systems I watch, Remote Control page, Community page and translator page.

Second is a i5/Windows 10 machine running continuously.

On it I have Grafana set of displays, VRM page, Power meter data display, Remote Console page, cell testing program and two weather service pages for my area.

I would prefer to have it all on my Mac but Grafana refuses to load on it and cell testing software is for Windows only.

Ok back to VRM problems.

What I see now is as follows:

1. Local time is now closer to reality but only closer than before.

local-time.jpgAt the moment of this screen shot the difference was 13 minutes but I still see the local time at 12:39 but real time is 13:22 at the end of writing this post.

2. Switching between Dashboard and Advanced view sometimes is fast (for sure after reload) but sometimes I have to wait long minutes to see any change. I described it in previous post. It is hard to describe when it will be fast and when slow. I noticed that when the "local time is close to real" it reacts faster to my selection from the left side bar but that is just a feeling.

3. In Advanced view when pointer is over a graph it should show the values. It does not do that.

When one graph shows the state (ea. VE. bus state) the pointer shows the time range and neighboring graphs show values.

After reload this works as it should. If I wait long enough it comes back without reloading the page.

I made a screen shots to visualize it but now I cannot attach picture because when I do I get "No link in upload response" massage.

I have no patience to fight with it so this is the premature end of my post. :(

It looks like not only VRM page has problems.

0 Likes 0 ·
local-time.jpg (17.2 KiB)
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ marekp commented ·
Hi Marek, ok lets see in the coming days. We still have further improvements to make.

For many other people that had problems, reported elsewhere - not on Community - it improved a lot with changes of past week. So at least we’re getting somewhere.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
@mvader (Victron Energy)

Ok I will wait but do not take may "complains" the wrong way.

I report problems only with the good intentions so you can make VRM page work as best as possible for everybody.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ marekp commented ·
No worries!
0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

I that case here is another "rapport from the front". :)

Advanced page was open for the last 2-3 hours with a window from cell testing soft on top.

Wiggling symbol and Realtime is on, Status is OK and a "Local time" is 18:25.

The real time is 20:18

I clicked Dashboard in the left side bar and now I am waiting for the reaction.

While waiting I am looking at my AC-IN graphs and see that when I hover the cursor over the graph, window with data is not coming up. When I hover my cursor over neighboring window with VE.Bus State, window with date and time appear and window with data appears in AC-IN as well.

It is now 20:25 and no change, Dashboard is not on yet and "Local time" is still 18:25.

Also when I look closely at my graphs they all end at 17:37 and VE.Bus State graph ends at 13:46.

All this is happening on my Windows 10 machine. I thing this page is totally unresponsive.

At the same time on my Mac machine VRM page was not visible since i was writing this page.

Making VRM page visible shows an active and responsive Advanced page with the current "Local time". Graphs also properly react to the cursor movements.

After clicking on the Dashboard selection in the left side bar the page starts behaving like I just described on my Windows 10 machine. "Local time" stopped updating and Dashboard Page is not showing. Eventually after 5 minutes Dashboard showed up on my Mac machine.

On Windows 10 machine no such luck other than I noticed that "Local time" is now showing 20:50 when real time is 20:53. Still no Dashboard.

On the Mac machine I selected Advanced and now I am waiting for it to show up.

To summarize this long and boring post, I do not thing I will get this VRM page working without reload.

Going back and forth between VRM and Community pages does not make VRM page update or work correctly.

On the Mac machine Advanced page is still not showing.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Seems to be getting better each day. Much appreciated too..
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·
Allgood for your already @JohnC ? Or not yet, like @MarekP
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
@mvader (Victron Energy)

It's not totally there, still some little niggles. But the speed improvement largely negates them. Like my gripe about 'Realtime' not actually being so. Now it's wrong for only a few seconds.. :)

I'm just tagging along behind Marekp here, trying to help out too. We know it's important when you get involved. Not many CEO's give feedback like you do, so just helping where we can.

0 Likes 0 ·
cabinrob avatar image
cabinrob answered ·

Another VRM issue: the firmware update page seems to come and go. Currently not there (with various browsers.)

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The marching ants on the dashboard come and go.

On local time... Mine is in my camper van and set up for CET. But when I'm in another time zone (e.g. UK BST) although there a GPS sensor, local time still shows CET value. Would be good if this can switch automatically, or failing that, show the time zone it's reporting.

2 |3000

Barbara (Victron Energy) avatar image
Barbara (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @kevgermany , @cabinrob and @JohnC and @MarekP , I just wanted to check in and see if over the last couple of weeks this has improved for you. And if not, if the problems you encounter are the same as in the messages above?

Thank you for your input, with that we can pinpoint what more improvements we can make!

1 comment
2 |3000

@Barbara (Victron Energy)

"Local time" and "Historical data" are correct most of the time.

Left side list is reacting fairly quick also most of the time.

By "most of the time" I mean that, sometimes I have to wait a minute or two or three or four before I see result of me selecting "advanced" when in "dashboard" or "dashboard" when in "advanced".

In that case I simply reload the page and all reacts quickly afterwards for a while.

All this happens on the Mac machine.

On Windows10 machine this problem is mostly nonexistent.

To sum up, it is better but not ideal.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Hi Barbara

Marching ants OK, not noticed problems recently.

No change in time zone behaviour.

1 comment
2 |3000

Barbara (Victron Energy) avatar image Barbara (Victron Energy) ♦ commented ·
That's half good to hear, thank you. When you are in for example the UK, which timezone is your GX device indicating?
0 Likes 0 ·
cabinrob avatar image
cabinrob answered ·

Still having issues….

VRM app does not connect to my installation. I’ve tried deleting app, logging in and out etc. and nothing helps.

I can successfully see my installation through the web portal - so my Cerbo is up and communicating fine

The firmware update page is still missing.

2 |3000

marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

Problem is back.

screen-shot-2023-07-08-at-120616-pm.png

Today most of the features does not work without reloading the VRM page.

Recently I noticed that the Custom time range is not working without the reload.

screen-shot-2023-07-08-at-121237-pm.png

1 comment
2 |3000

I'm not sure the problem really went away. That 'Realtime' thing may look pretty, but bears no relevance to whether the data is realtime or not. At best it says that that it WAS Realtime at the Local Time listed. Despite it being animated, and that never stops. The page can be dead as a dodo, but that persists regardless.

I'd rather see that Realtime thing completely removed, rather than remain as it is been for quite a while now.

0 Likes 0 ·