question

usernamepasswordbs avatar image
usernamepasswordbs asked

Installation too busy realtime data link disabled

Hi,

I have read as much as possible through the other threads on this subject which means no realtime data on the VRM dashboard. I have not found a solution so far that works for me.

Please can anyone explain what would cause disabling of the data link and the subsequent warning message?

The remote console data seems to be always realtime, so there is obviously realtime communication between the Cerbo and the network so where is the fault to be looked for? It is the same problem whether I open the VRM Portal in Chrome, Edge (Windows 10 laptop) or Android on my phone.

Thanks,

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

13 Answers
harry4516 avatar image
harry4516 answered ·

Hi, the VRM portal generates a large amount of network traffic. I discovered this when I tried to access it over the Internet and noticed that everything slowed down when VRM was connected to the Multiplus.

If you are experiencing slow WiFi network speeds, the issue may be resolved by connecting to VRM via an Ethernet cable.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

usernamepasswordbs answered ·

Thanks for that idea. I don't know if I am experiencing slow wifi network speeds. I would have though that all the Tik Tok and YouTube vids that the kids watch (alright, me as well) would be higher traffic than the VRM but the problem persists on a school day when the network is very quiet.

Have you installed a cable and found it made a difference?

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

It might be overload on the VRM servers. This was the case a few months back.

I'll report it.

2 |3000

Yes I've read some threads about a general issue which seems to have been resolved quickly for most people but my problem has been pretty constant since the install.

Would the VRM servers still allow Remote Console to update in realtime if they were overloaded?

2 |3000

johnone avatar image
johnone answered ·

Is it helpful to think about the different things that are going on here? (apols if the below seems simplistic)

1. when you view the remote console in a web browser, depending on configuration, but mostly, you are seeing data which is sent over your local area network, i.e. the browser is fetching data from the Cerbo over your LAN, there's no internet involved. Hence, it's always just there.

2. When viewing the VRM, when it's showing 'realtime' data, it is fetching lots of data from the Cerbo transmitted via the internet to the VRM, i.e. it is uploading data over the internet. Your web browser then downloads the data processed by the VRM.

The (potentially) big difference with viewing the VRM and watching Youtube vids is that when viewing Youtube vids generally there is very little uploading going on (just a bit of browser activity with cookies and the like). Whereas, 'realtime' VRM viewing requires lots of uploading of the realtime data from your Cerbo. Depending on your internet connection, uploading can be a bottleneck. Sometimes, though, the problem is with Victron's data processing of uploaded data - that's what @kevgermany is referring to above.

It may be that your internet connection is the problem. For example, even with an 80-20 fibre-to-the-premises internet connection (80Mbps download - 20Mbps upload) I sometimes see delay in the VRM being able to display 'realtime' data. Now, if I had a cheapo non-fibre broadband deal, I'd expect upload to be a bit flaky.

Also, maybe your router is a bottleneck - again, if it's a cheapo broadband-deal-router it may have less uploading capability. Maybe worth checking with your ISP's recommended speed checking service and see what your upload spec is?

2 |3000

Thank you, very informative. Unfortunately for me all of those things are the case: no fibre available around here and a router supplied by the cheapo broadband company.

I will do some tests to see what my internet is capable of. What kind of upload speeds does the VRM need?

Is there a way to use the data that would be uploaded to VRM to feed into another VRM-type dashboard but directly over my network, no internet?

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

If you have node red enabled, try disable that.

2 |3000

johnone avatar image
johnone answered ·

I don't know what upload speed is required - probably not that much. But the issue will also be about how stable the upload connection is. Often, broadband speed checking services show you the best available speed over a period of time, but don't show how intermittent the service is.

If you had a 5g smartphone (and decent coverage), you could try connecting the Cerbo via wifi to the phone's internet connection, for the uploading of data.

Although @nickdb is correct to advise disabling node red (presume he means to disable Venus OS Large on the VRM side menu?), some people have built complex node red based dashboards, including using memory, which could be all LAN based and mimic what the VRM does. But that is a v complex, time consuming thing - example here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ceMtBo3orM

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
The OP hasn't mentioned what GX is installed.

Node red can be heavy, so if that is playing a role disabling it might give a clue, as would enabling ssh and using top to see what the device is up to.

If it resolves and the OP has an older venus-type GX, it may have run out of horses.

I have managed to make mine wobble on occasion so am now upgrading to a much faster Cerbo.

Of course, it could be external. Sometimes just disabling logging and enabling it again (settings -> vrm) can jolt the system back into action.

0 Likes 0 ·

I don't have node-red, yet. I can't seem to get the firmware to update to Large. V2.92.

I am running a Cerbo which I purchased from a big supplier only 3 months ago.

I will try the suggestions of ssh and top (once I find out what they are).

So the message about installation busy, data link disabled will be because the Cerbo or VRM portal is seeing an excessive delay in data upload or something like that?

2 |3000

johnone avatar image
johnone answered ·

Presume you've first looked over all the suggestions in the manual (before messing with ssh and top) - e.g. Venus GX manual: 9.4. Troubleshooting data logging

"This chapter explains what to do when the GX Device cannot transmit data to the VRM Portal."

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Venus_GX/en/vrm-portal.html#UUID-c6032252-9e32-f3d3-57ea-e6978bb0f62c

3 comments
2 |3000

usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs commented ·

I think everything there is ok:

screenshot-20.png

The GX does send data to the VRM portal but it has got this "realtime link disabled" issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-20.png (256.8 KiB)
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ usernamepasswordbs commented ·
Did you try disabling two way comms and vrm logging on the gx then enabling it again?

Assuming you are up to date on versions?

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Yes done that.

Another weird thing is that I often get these "throwback" pages. Just in case that tells you something about where the problem might be. Always the same values but the time is correct each time.

screenshot-16.png

screenshot-17.png

screenshot-21.png

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-16.png (253.8 KiB)
screenshot-17.png (239.6 KiB)
screenshot-21.png (234.4 KiB)
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@usernamepasswordbs

As I understand it, this 'Too Busy' message is internally generated by the GX, and happens when it gets preoccupied with it's own calculations and comms to the other connected devices. It deliberately stops talking to VRM until it catches up with it's own priorities. And yours can't catch up.

I'd look there for the issue. Maybe you have a lot of devices hanging off the Cerbo, and could pull them one-by-one to see which one might be causing the GX grief. Maybe also something like a missing CAN terminator?

12 comments
2 |3000

usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs commented ·
Thanks for that, I will take a look in that direction. Connected to the Cerbo I have the MPPT RS (Ve.Can), the MP2 (Ve.Can), ET112 (usb), Pylontech batteries (BMS Can), Nano Wifi dongle (usb), that's it I think. Terminators are in place.

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs usernamepasswordbs commented ·
I also have this error 1392 when I try to update firmware via VRM portal. Could this be a clue?
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ usernamepasswordbs commented ·
@usernamepasswordbs

Maybe just a typo, but MP2 is VE.Bus, not VE.Can. Same plug, different animal..

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs JohnC ♦ commented ·
Maybe I meant that. I will go out and check once i've finished my Shreddies.
0 Likes 0 ·
We’ve seen 1392 errors before but it was resolved by a GX reboot.

I will try get someone from team vrm to have a look but you may want to consider a fresh reflash of the GX from the current build.

0 Likes 0 ·
The GX has been rebooted a few times. The reflash: is that updating firmware? I'm having trouble with that at the moment. It won't update from remote console and via the dashboard I get the 1392 error. I will try a usb stick next.
0 Likes 0 ·
No. There is a fresh rebuild process where you can use a usb stick to completely reinstall it.
0 Likes 0 ·
I've had a look around and I can't find the rebuild process that you mention. It would be much appreciated if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs usernamepasswordbs commented ·
Sorry, yes the MP2 is connected to Ve.Bus
0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

@usernamepasswordbs In support of this point, I have an almost 5-year old single processor CCGX on a system 6000kms away that I manage. It is remote, off-grid, has a RJ45 connection to a 3G modem. The rconsole can be sluggish at best and screen very refresh variable. The same error occured and the solution was to keep the CCGX monitor on a static screen, I do the same for the remote rconsole before closing it as the process may otherwise still continue running even after closing it. (Even on the dual cpu cerbo I typically disable the wifi hotspot and bluetooth, both from a security perspective and given unwanted comms processes can take up a lot of resources.) A bad (loose) connector resulting in errors or missing terminator as mentioned are all worth exploring. Lastly, maybe experiment with the VRM upload interval too if it is set at 1 min.

0 Likes 0 ·
johnone avatar image johnone commented ·

@JohnC Re "As I understand it, this 'Too Busy' message is internally generated by the GX" - good example where propoer documentation would be helpful.

As you can see, the actual message is (to repeat this thread title) "Installation too busy realtime data link disabled". Last Dec @nickdb said on this very same topic: "If the gx has lost comms for some reason and is busy sending logs back, it can also show this error until caught up."

Be great / normal, if error messages were explained in the manuals rather than relying on hunches!

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/174208/warning-installation-too-busy-real-time-data-link.html

0 Likes 0 ·

Working now!

Thanks to everyone for taking an interest.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Can you share what resolved it?
0 Likes 0 ·

So, I installed the flash on a usb stick as recommended by Nickdb, unplugged everything from the Cerbo, put the stick in and reconnected the power. I waited a while then unplugged and replugged the power to reboot as per instructions, then realised I hadn't taken out the usb stick! I waited again, then unplugged, removed usb and rebooted a second time.

I spent an hour getting it back on the internet (I'm not joking, why is it so hard to get this stuff connected?)

I had connection issues and almost brought the Cerbo and a car battery into the house (like I did when I first installed the system) to plug in network cable to do the internet password and all that. I could access the Cerbo via Victron connect with my phone so I played around with a few network settings but to no avail.

After several failures to connect to a network using my phone next to the Cerbo, going back and forth to the house and trying on the laptop, then, suddenly, it did connect and I had realtime data on the dashboard.

I would like to thank Nickdb for his suggestion of a reflash which has hopefully sorted my realtime data problems.

2 |3000