question

wirelessguy avatar image
wirelessguy asked

Mixing flexible solar panel with roof mounted

I know this question has been asked and answered a few times but I am still not sure.

I have a flexible 200-watt solar panel I would like to add to my fixed setup when camping in the shade, my question is, can I add the quick connection right to my Lynx distributor or do I need to add a second MPPT? I am building a new toy hauler out of my 22 ft cargo hauler and I am just about done except for a few connections.

What I have installed so far, this is my fist go at this.

Victron Multiplus 12/3000 120/50

Victron MPPT 100/50

Victron LYNX distributor

2x 200 watt Rich solar panels (two more 200 watt on order)

1x 200 AH LifePo4 (second on order)

img-2044.jpeg

victron products
img-2044.jpeg (4.0 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Solar panels can not be connected directly to the battery. They need a "solar charge controller" either MPPT or PWM. Many portable panels have PWM controllers as part of the kit and that can be connected to your battery if the voltages match.

Your best option is to add an additional MPPT controller.

You may be able to connect your portable panels to the same MPPT controller as your roof panels but that depends on how they are connected and the relative voltage and current ratings of these and the new portable panels. You could also switch between the roof panels and the portable panels.

You will likely need another MPPT controller for your additional roof panels also. The max power of your existing controller is 600 watts (50 amps x 12 volts) and you'd have 800 watts of panels. But if you are adding panels to address low output due to shading then you may be OK.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic