question

myvicrocks avatar image
myvicrocks asked

VRM - Feature Request - Changes Made by Installer

*A feature request* - if this can be done would be great to know how. When an installer makes changes via remote login (VRM) it the logs it shows when they logged in and then shows changes have been made.

remotechanges.jpg

As an owner and inquisitive one I could just call the installer, I could discuss it with them before but in certain cases both of the above is not possible at the time.

Would be nice if the Event log that says: "Installation settings update - General settings updated" Has more details on what change was made even if it's just a hint to where to go look at in VRM.

VRMfeature request
remotechanges.jpg (47.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jons Collasius avatar image
Jons Collasius answered ·

I personally don't need this, but in general that would be great.

The log entry should be

"What was changed, Old Value, New Value"

e.g.

"Installation settings update - Settings->DVCC->Limit charge current: OFF -> ON "
"Installation settings update - Settings->DVCC->Maximum charge current: 50A -> 20A "

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @myvicrocks,

Most of the lack of detail right now is due to the limitations in how the settings are changed.

While VRM is used to open the remote console tunnel to make the changes (and that is logged), the changes themselves are not seen by VRM, but done directly between the user and the site through the tunnel.

I can definitely see the advantage of having a full detailed log of all system changes, but for now it should be more considered like a sign in sign out sheet. So you can see who has been there, but not exactly what they were doing while inside.

Actions that are taken on VRM itself (such as a remote firmware update) have the potential to be logged with more detail.

If you see one of those that aren't, please let me know and I can find out more.

2 |3000

Related Resources

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.

VRM login page

VRM documentation

VRM API documentation

How to change the Owner of a VRM installation