question

barman avatar image
barman asked

SmartShunt and DC POWER

Hi All, I have a small system intallalled on my boat, Rasp with 2.93 venus OS, one multiplus 1600 and one smart shunt, I'm using the Multi for battery SOC and the Shunt, configured ad Energy meter,for the DC boat loads. All fine, but on the overview page of the of the venus, with " HAS DC SYSTEM" activated, no loads are displayed, if i open DC power tab, it shown : other devices not shown on overview page and there I found the Shunt. Also In VRM portal DC power is empty Anybody can help me in solve this, How I can display smart shunt readings into DC POWER? Many thanks for who can help me.

KR

fx-venus-page-0001.jpg

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
barman avatar image
barman answered ·

Hello MIchael,

Sorted, Many thanks for the hint, why you say that Multy is not so accurate? or less accurate than a dedicate shunt?

King Regards

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
The Multiplus can only measure the DC current going into or out of the Multiplus and this measurement is not as accurate as a SmartShunt or BMV shunt. If a system has other DC loads or DC charge sources then the Multiplus does not know anything at all about these other current flows into or out of the battery, hence the SOC reading can be very wrong.
2 Likes 2 ·
michaeld avatar image
michaeld answered ·

A smartshunt will only be shown in the DC section if its type is set to "DC system" (not DC load, DC source or any of the others).

Just a thought though, a shunt configured as a DC meter is usually used when you already have another shunt monitoring the battery, to give you a more accurate reading of your DC power. With just one shunt monitoring the battery and "has DC system" enabled, DC power will be calculated as the difference between what the MPPTs are generating, what the inverter is using and what the battery is seeing. You also get much more accurate SOC than the multiplus can provide (especially since it can't see alternator charging). Is there any reason you've gone for the setup you currently have?

2 |3000