question

thorben avatar image
thorben asked

Why should I use Lithium Bat. Smart instead of Lithium SuperPack?

Hi,

can you please tell me what are the advantages of using a Lithium Bat. Smart instead of Lithium SuperPack, since the SuperPack has the BMS integrated and doesn't need additional components?

I am referring to the usage in a small camper van in combination with:

• starter battery DC booster
  • MPPT Smart Solar
  • MultiPlus 12/500/20
  • BMV 712

Thanks

Lithium BatteryBMSsmart lithium
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Your question is a good one. “Drop in” batteries are certainly simpler to handle and have all of the advantages of Lithium. My only observation is the size range of the 24 volt SuperPack batteries is somewhat limited.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Thorben,

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

As Trevor said, the Superpack lithium batteries are easier to handle, but lack certain features, such as Bluetooth (smart) for monitoring (VictronConnect, Instant Readout) and control (battery limit settings via VictronConnect), larger size, lower charge and discharge currents, and finally, series connection is not possible.

With the Superpack, you practically lose control and leave everything to the battery/BMS without being able to influence it. This can then also lead to surprises, e.g. when the BMS suddenly stops discharging.

Ultimately, it depends on what requirements you have for the system.

2 |3000

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

I have 3 Victron SuperPack 200aH batteries connected to a Multiplus 12/3000/120 and after two plus years of use, I would go in a different direction and use lithiums that need a BMS.

Yes, they were super easy to install but we have to manage/limit our power consumption to 2Kw or the batteries will shutdown.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic