question

andy156 avatar image
andy156 asked

Git uninstalled after cerbo update causing node-red to run from incorrect files

I have set up git as I have a very large complex node-red flow which needs project management. I set up git using the instructions here https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/167523/how-to-enable-the-project-function-venusos-large-n.html.

However after updating the cerbo gx to 2.93 I found that git was no longer installed which meant that my node-red flow reverted to an old version. I had to go through the steps mentioned at the end of the previous thread and then terminate and restart node-red to get everything working again.

Is there some setting I can make somewhere that prevents packages I have installed being removed during an update? Or is there a location I can run a script that is only run automatically after an update?

cerbo gxNode-RED
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@Andy156

VenusOS being an embedded OS, means that when ever the system does an update the entire system is in affect re-imaged. This over writes everything except the /data partition. Therefore after every update you need to re-install anything you added or changed.

Two options exists. (1) is to create a script which checks for git, and if it does not exist run the required commands. The script can then be called from /data/rcS.local, and will be run on every reboot. (2) is disable auto updates and do not update the system.

It is the nature of the game I am afraid.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andy156 avatar image andy156 commented ·

Hi, thanks for that. I'd already disabled autoupdates as I was prepared for all hell to break loose. The /data/rcS.local is exactly what I was looking for. I'll have a go at that. Just found a document here using google on rcS.local that helps me out loads as well https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access

0 Likes 0 ·