question

vici avatar image
vici asked

Sporadic electricity from the grid

Every day I sporadically draw electricity from the grid, although the battery has sufficient capacity and there are no peak loads at this times.

Can I change this so that electricity is no longer drawn from the grid?

On average, 500 watts are drawn from the grid every day.

ess-bat.jpg

ESSgridbattery capacity
ess-bat.jpg (27.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Vici

Be brave and disconnect with the main switch. And be off grid.

The other way is to have an AC ignore setup.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vici avatar image vici commented ·

I can't be brave. ;-) We generate so much electricity that we almost always feed electricity into the grid.

Is the "AC ignore setup" also possible unidirectional or does the AC turn off in both directions?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ vici commented ·
@Vici

It completely disconnects.in AC ignore. If you are feeding back that is different.

What graph are you displaying in your origional post? I assumed it was a consumption graph.

There is something interesting there are there is a line of yellow at 3am, how likely is there to be solar there?

0 Likes 0 ·
vici avatar image vici Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Yes, that is true. It is the consumption graph.

It is also correct that there is a solar yield at 3 a.m. at night.

In Germany the sun is ever shine. ;-) Joke.

This is somtimes from bright lights of my neighbour.

Today there is no solar yield but again grid consumption.

So it's not possible to prevent grid consumption without completely disconnecting AC?

This is today's graph

consumption.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
consumption.jpg (36.4 KiB)
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

The amounts are not large and I would not worry.

If it really bothers you and you have more than sufficient solar PV, you could change the grid set-point in the ESS settings to say -20W so that you are always trying to export a small amount.

My own consumption does show a small regular import of ~200 Wh per day so I will try -10W to check for myself what it does.

1 comment
2 |3000

vici avatar image vici commented ·

Thanks for the information. I'll test that once. The few watts don't kill me, but I want to understand why this happens and if and how it can be corrected.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic