question

Hans Haufe avatar image
Hans Haufe asked

firmware update older mppt 70|15

So i have an older mppt running firmware 1.07 victronconnect won't see it, (ve.direct mk3 to usb cable) but via serial connect i get a response:

Checksum
manf    Victron Energy
prod    MPPT 12..24V/15A
ser#    HQ1302XWRZ9
ver#    1.07

How can i update it there must be away to directly upload via serial or hell maybe even via rom reader directly on the chip. these device's used to be updated via older software what that is i have no clue but without access i can't configure it so its rather important i can update it or atleast configure,

MPPT ControllersVictronConnectVE.Directremote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @Hans Haufe

This MPPT model can be updated using VE Power Setup (https://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/ve-power-setup/windows/VEPowerSetupInstaller.exe) and the firmware file that can be found on Victron Professional (https://professional.victronenergy.com/downloads/firmware/file-download/?name=MPPTs%20-%20Smart-%20and%20BlueSolar%20-%20v1.xx%20series%20-%20with%20only%20VE.Direct/Solar%20Charge%20Controller%20MPPT%2070-15%20v1.30_300.dup). I am however not sure whether this product is supported by VictronConnect, even after the update.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hans Haufe avatar image Hans Haufe commented ·
This indeed is the way to update unfortunately as you predicted victron connect does not work with it.
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Hans Haufe

The old way is via 'mpptprefs', and it seems that may be needed for that old model mppt. Both the .exe file and firmware files are available if you sign in to Victron Professional.. https://professional.victronenergy.com

1 comment
2 |3000

Hans Haufe avatar image Hans Haufe commented ·

thanks for that info, indeed that got it talking but to my frustration this is what it spit out:

VE.Direct mpptprefs 1.17
Checking: COM2 => MPPT charger found, this unit requires a firmware update
 * Use VictronConnect to update the MPPT charger

So victron went out of their way to make sure mpptprefs points to victronconnect.... I hate it when simple tasks become time consuming simply because company's flat out block older ways to do things.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Interesting, because I have also some of the BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 and just got the idea, to run into the forest with a VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle and I have even older firmware on it and it just worked with the update.

Try the VE.Direct Smart Dongle.

2 |3000