question

alandr avatar image
alandr asked

Orion smart 12:12 30 charging question

Hi,

I have a T6 campervan with an orion 12:12 30 installed. It's charging 2 Lead acid leisure batteries but after driving for over 4hrs the batteries don't appear any more charged.

Is this expected and how could I check it? (Also the fridge was on during the drive and for an hour or two after I got home).

screenshot-20230227-214351.pngBefore 12.3v which is pretty low to start with.

screenshot-20230227-214502.pngafter what I was expecting to be a thorough charge the voltage was sitting at 12.33v... Any thoughts? Thanks Al

battery chargingorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @AlanDR

What I see there is pretty normal. 12.3V isn't so bad if the batts are cold. They seem to have got a decent charge. Not a long Absorb time, but ok for batts in a good state. Good long Float, and came out like 12.6V, all good. The downward spikes after suggest a load applied in short bursts, and have drawn V down a little each time. Perhaps your fridge, maybe you forgot to turn it off?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alandr avatar image alandr commented ·
Hi, Thanks. I guess I am comparing it to when I use the hookup charger, another victron. After that the batteries appear to settle at a higher voltage and stay there for longer. (I.e 4hr drive charging from the 12:12 30a Vs 4hr plugged in the plugged in which is 20a seems to do a better job).

Also, yes I think you're right the little drops in voltage are the fridge kicking in and I must have left it on for a while.

Thanks again

0 Likes 0 ·