question

michaelroemer avatar image
michaelroemer asked

Orion Smart 12/12-30 isolated not properly charging / input voltage drops

Hello,

I had a Orion Smart installed on my Campervan to charge a Smart Lithium 12V/160Ah battery. My basic vehicle is a 2020 Fiat Ducato with an 'intelligent' alternator. When driving with a constant speed the Orion did not start charging as the input voltage was quite stable at 12.2V and thus constantly below the start voltage of 14V. I then changed the settings so that the Orion will start charging at around 12V input voltage and it did. BUT as soon as the output voltage stabilizes the input voltage drops to around 10.2V, the Orion cuts off, input voltages raises, Orion starts, input drops and so on.

What can be the cause of this? Is there something I can check? I would be really happy if someone had an idea how to correct this!

Thanks a lot, Michael

battery chargingorion-tr smart
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bootneck69 avatar image bootneck69 commented ·
I have similar issue, I have been using my Orion dc-dc charger for the past 4 months or so, with no issues, now the charger has started refusing the input voltage from 12v plus and reducing the voltage to about 3 volts, then the charger drops the Bluetooth link and switches off.

I have disconnected the input cable and taken a reading, it then shows 12 plus volts, the same as the vehicle battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There is certainly a problem with the wiring leading up to the input of the Orion.
Either there is a fault or the circuit is not up to carrying 30A without the significant Voltage drop that you can observe. This much Voltage drop is really bad and need to be investigated.
Please have the wiring checked or ensure that the circuit and its wiring is up to the task for carrying at least a 30A load.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michaelroemer avatar image michaelroemer commented ·

Hi wkirby, thanks a lot for the answer. Besides the wire size (which I believe is fine as it was done by a electrician), what could be the issue? Thanks a lot, Michael

0 Likes 0 ·
Bruce Johnson avatar image Bruce Johnson commented ·
i have a very similar problem. And I am certain that the wiring is fine. What else could be the issue?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You need to find out what's causing the input of the Orion to drop so far. Starting point is probably the electrician. Ask him to explain where the feed to the Orion comes from and why.

I'd guess the alternator is cutting the output because it's not seeing the load from the Orion.

2 |3000