question

daza avatar image
daza asked

Raspberry Pi or Cerbo GX

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to know if there are any issues using Raspberry Pi over a Cerbo GX, I I was looking at some YouTube vids and they said there was an issue with the pi going to certain firmware updates that it erases the user settings so they have to be set again. Is this the same for the Cerbo GX or does that keep all of its settings after update?

cerbo gxRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Daza

The Cerbo keeps its settings.

My Pi kept all its settings through quite a few updates

The system expanded beyond the pi connectivity. Love the cerbo though. Alot more convinient that the Pi as all the connections are there.

Have you seen the Cerbo S? It has a few less connections but price is lower as a result.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@Alexandra
Thanks it looks like the Cerbo GX is less hassale, yeah I’ve looked at the Cerbo S but I’m thinking I could use the on board switches on the Cerbo to power a fan or heater in the Summer and winter months, this would be ofcourse through a relay. Thank you

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

While Venus OS on Raspberry PI works fine, it is not plug and play in the same way as Cerbo is.

The issue with needing to reflash the SD card was due to a kernel upgrade a few versions back. The kernel upgrade was needed to address new versions of the PI boards (RPI 4 mainly) and to bring the PI up to the same kernel version as Cerbo, etc. Venus OS firmware updates are now as painless on the PI as on other platforms.

Getting a display to work with the PI and Venus OS isn't always easy although the official Raspberry PI Touchscreen works great. There are others that work too and some HDMI displays work OK also but won't dim due to a limitation in the HDMI spec.

The PI has no analog or digital inputs or relays without additional modules or outboard circuitry. Plus USB adapters are required for each connection to Victron components. So the system cost may end up being similar or more than using Cerbo and the Touch 50/70.

Venus OS on Raspberry PI is provided as-is by Victron. Support mostly comes from the forum, not Victron itself.

I don't recommend Venus OS on Raspberry PI unless you are comfortable with some command line interfacing with unix.

I went from CCGX to Raspberry PI 4 to Cerbo and still use the PI for development for my GuiMods and other packages that add on to Venus OS. Of particular interest to Venus OS on PI:

https://github.com/kwindrem/RpiDisplaySetup

https://github.com/kwindrem/RpiGpioSetup

and possibly

https://github.com/kwindrem/VeCanSetup

Although much of the CANbus support it provided is not built into Venus OS

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@Kevin Windrem

thanks the pi does seem hard work lol so I guess it’s the Cerbo GX for me then. Am I able to get a cheaper display for the Cerbo GX?

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Daza

As a display yes. Getting one that works the touch through the HDMI a little more tricky.

I have an old tablet used as a remote sreeen it does all that I need for that.

1 Like 1 ·
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@Alexandra are you using the tablet in headless mode ie local lan connection through a web browser? if so i'll just use an old iPad that no longer has a purpose as its too old to run anything

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Daza

I have it connected to the cerbo wifi. Using the remote screen through the browser.

I did for a while have it through the LAN, but it got a bit laggy. So found the direct connection better.

Its an old tablet so it is basically stripped back to OS and browser, sorted.

1 Like 1 ·
daza avatar image daza Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Brilliant thanks now one less thing to buy
1 Like 1 ·