question

dave-brannigan avatar image
dave-brannigan asked

SOC versus Battery voltage when under load

I have a Smart shunt monitoring 4x 105Ah batteries as my house bank on a boat. The shunt is connected to a Cerbo GX for remote viewing on VRM. I have a 100W and a 240W solar panel connected via a 75/15 and 30/100 MPPT charger. I keep a wifi router and some small items like a gas alarm, barometer and a voltage sensing relay that charges a bow thruster battery permanently powered over winter. My quiescent load is around 900mA. The solar usually keeps things topped up daily but over winter when teh sun went on holiday I watched as the SOC dropped to around 82% whilst the battery voltage was reported as low as 12.2V.

I got nervous and asked someone to hop on board and turn the shore power charger on (something I can now do remotely using a Cerbo Relay) and I could sleep again.

My question is, with the Smart Shunt/Cerbo reporting 82% SOC and 12.2v was I premature in engaging the charger would such a low power drain cause such disparity between the reported SOC and that which the Voltage to SOC charts would have you believe should be the case at 12.2v - which is about 50%.

What matters most for the longevity of the battery, the SOC or the lightly loaded voltage?

If I was to set an alarm for discharge state should I go by voltage, or SOC?

Using Relay1 for charger power control I could use the built in generator start function to turn the charger on instead...

SmartShuntSOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

One of the settings for the smart shunt is current threshold. Any current below this is ignored. It's user adjustable. You can lower this setting if needed. Default is 0.1A.

Battery voltage dropping to 12.2V probably won't have done any damage.

With lead based batteries, the problem is sulphation, which happens when voltage drops. So alarming on voltage would make more sense, it's more reliable and not distorted by low currents being ignored. It may be a good idea to try and find the storage voltage for your batteries and alarm if it drops below that.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources