question

tochal avatar image
tochal asked

do i need a Smart shunt?

i am building a 3 Phase ESS system using 3 Multiplus 3000 + Cerbo Gx.

i have already a Daly BMS + interface board to connect it to GX, if it works or not, i cant say, since i haven't don it yet

- do i still need a Smart shunt?

- what does a Smart shunt offer me? just monitoring or also protection?

- if it does also protection, which protections? over current? over/under voltage? over/under Temerature?

thanks in advance

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You need a battery monitor in the system.
If the Daly can present its self as a battery monitor to the system then you can use that. It difficult to say if the Daly will work like this since it is not a supported BMS type.
If the Daly does not presnt its self as a battery monitor to the system then you would need to use a SmartShunt or BMV.
A SmartShunt is a monitoring device and does not offer any protection mechanisms it's self. A BMS is intended to perform the battery protection tasks.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tochal avatar image tochal commented ·
thanks for the answer, i didnt mean that Shunt on is own does protection, i meant if Cerbo+Multi , with the information which comes from Shunt, perform a protection ?

0 Likes 0 ·