question

matthew-hodder avatar image
matthew-hodder asked

Cable Sizing

Hi folks,

Getting reading to deploy a fair bit of Victron gear to our boat, replacing the aging power system. This will include two BMV712 Smart Shunts on our two main starting batteries - at start up, each battery draws approx 660Amps, to cater for that I've also purchased two of the 1000A shunts.

I know there are arguments around the worth of measuring starter batteries, but we have other loads (bow thrusters) and some house services running off them so want to capture it all.

I now want to confirm the right cable to size it for. I can't easily get to the boat to measure the existing cable, but I would guess around 20mm diameter, thick cables indeed.

So I thought I'd try and calculate out what I need in advance. I've tried the Victron Cable calculator, but that maxes out at 400 amps. And I also assume that it would be measuring 1000a constant use, where I'm looking at surge (starting) and certainly less than 100amps when normally running.

Shunts will be mounted right next to batteries, so no longer that 0.5M, probably closer to 0.3M so very short runs.

I'm thinking 000 B&S at this stage?

Thoughts?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

This calculator uses marine and RV considerations : https://www.explorist.life/wire-sizing-calculator/

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Assuming you're going battery-shunt-busbar, use existing starter cable size as far as the busbar, and from there to ground/starter neg. Then size from the busbar to cover other loads.

This assumes that the existing starter cables are correctly sized.

2 |3000

zwcable avatar image
zwcable answered ·

I will reply your answer 400amps can choose 150mm2 Cable. Diameter for 150mm2 is also around 20mm. That is correct answer, for more details you can check https://www.centralwires.com/electrical-cable-size/

2 |3000

matthew-hodder avatar image
matthew-hodder answered ·

Cheers, I ended up using 95mm2 welding cable, which was the same size as what was on the boat, only short 0.6m runs has been working very well ever since

2 |3000