question

jhaley100 avatar image
jhaley100 asked

Global Link won’t connect to Smart Shunt, but MPPT will

I just installed a smart shunt on my sailboat battery bank. The shunt is in the center of the boat. My MPPT smart controller and Global Link 520 are mounted on the hull less than 2 meters away, right next to each other. MPPT controller sees the smart shunt and is connected to it. The Smart Shunt does not appear on list of devices for the Global Link 520.

The Victron connect app connects to the shunt and displays Instant data. I need this Bluetooth connection for monitoring. Because of the wiring path, a wired connection would be very difficult to achieve and would probably exceed the wiring distance limit.

Is there anything else I can try to achieve a blue tooth connection between the Global Link 520 and the Smart Shunt?

SmartShuntBluetoothgloballink
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

I had this problem as well. My Victron App sees my SmartShunt in the engine room of my boat, via Bluetooth. However, the GL520 doesn’t see it. In the end, I connected my SmartShunt to the GL520 with a 5m cable, which solved the issue.

I even tried, as well, a Victron Bluetooth dongle plugged into the SmartShunt, instead of the SmartShunt’s built in Bluetooth, in the hope that its Bluetooth signal would be stronger.

Unfortunately, that didn’t work either. Hence the direct cable.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.