question

garagenpv avatar image
garagenpv asked

Is OctoGX still a supported product

I'm thinking of an ESS solution with MultiplusII-48/5000,Pytes 48100R , Em24 , 7x MPPT 100/20 VE.Direct and OctoGX as the controller for a "Nulleinspeisung"-solution in Germany. I didn't find a price and availability information about OctoGX.

My Question: is this device still beeing available or end of life, and when, where and at what price can I get it in Germany

Is there any technical documentation available

Werner

control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@GaragenPV

This blog shows it was released in 2018, so a five year old product, so i imagine the Cerbo is more preferred for newer installs.

Will it do the job, yes.

The CCGX is about 10 years now, still supported as in warranty, but not recommended to install on new systems.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

garagenpv avatar image
garagenpv answered ·

Thanks for your fast reply, in the meatime I found a comparison list of OctoGX and CerboGX. The Reason for using OctoGX are the 7 MPPT 100/20 Loaders to be connected via VE.direct

I was now told that VE.Smart Networking could be a solution with Bluetooth Networking for my requirements to avoid partly deprecated devices (I read Bluetooth is not working satisfactory on OctoGX). Do you agree to the VE.Smart networking variant, is there already any experience with a similar setup?

The complete Hardware Setup for ESS would then be as follows:

1. Multiplus II 48/5000 70/50
  2. Cerbo GX
  3. Smartmeter EM24
  4. 7x SmartSolar MPPT 100/20
  5. 2x Akkku Pytes E-BOX 48100R

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

A ve smart network should not be used in a system with a gx device. And definitely should.bot be used with the ESS assistant.

It is listed as a limitation in the smart network manual.

You can use a powered usb hub to run all the mppts with the ve direct to usb dongles and the GXs that have limited ve directs. But maybe consider switching to can connected mppts instead.

Why are you using such weird sizes mplts for ESS? Do you have a complex roof?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The Octo GX is not in the official pricelist anymore.
https://www.victronenergy.com/information/pricelist

2022 Q1 was the last pricelist with the Octo GX.

As Alex wrote the Cerbo GX + a USB-Hub is the way to go.
Due to a better CPU the Cerbo supports more VE.direct devices.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

2 comments
2 |3000

Oluwatobiloba Adedeji avatar image Oluwatobiloba Adedeji commented ·

@Matthias Lange - DE, aside CPU speed, is there a workaround for additional relays for the Cerbo? I'd like to have more relay controlled whistles to my install

0 Likes 0 ·
garagenpv avatar image
garagenpv answered ·

But that means USB Hub with 4 VE.direct Converters. What about the VE.SMart.Networking via Bluetooth for Interconnectivity MPPT's with Cerbo as an alternative, is that feasible ?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic