question

solvan avatar image
solvan asked

Innacurate SmartSolar current measurement.

Hi everyone,

I've got a SmartSolar 100 | 50 MPPT, and a Bogart Engineering Trimetric battery monitor.

I'm noticing there's a notable difference with the amps the SmartSolar says it is putting out to the battery, vs what the Bogart says is coming in. With all output loads isolated, the SmartSolar seems to over read by 5% ie 5% higher than the value read on the Trimetric.

The Trimetric measures using a precision shunt, with sense wires routed well away from any load lines. It's been checked with two independent instruments and I'm confident of its accuracy.

Is this level of error acceptable in Victron units? Because it's effectively ruining any use of the historical data from the SmartSolar unit, and I have concerns about its implications if I decide to switch the Trimetric with a BMV unit.

MPPT Controllersaccuracy
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Solvan and everyone,

In five or ten minutes from now; I'm going to do a few things to try and get this back how and where it ought to be.

- delete all the comments and answers and start fresh.

- check where / how you are blocked; unblock you.

Best regards, Matthijs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Solvan,

I'm not sure if 5% is normal; I'll check with R&D tomorrow and get back to you here.

The BMVs and MPPT Solar Chargers are completely different when it comes to current measurements: the BMV has a precision shunt; and its whole purpose is accurately measuring current & voltage. The Solar Charger does not have a precision shunt.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic