steveplatzoeder avatar image
steveplatzoeder asked

Bluetooth Issue: Connect until 95%, then fail

Bluetooth connection issue in 2 of 3 devices:

I cannot connect to the following devices anymore:

- SmartSolar MPPT 100/30

- Smartshunt 500A

on my new Phone Nokia G11.

- Orion Tr Smart connects and works as normal (always)

- Pairing works on all 3 devices, but full connection only works on Orion, on SmartSolar and SmartShunt connection every time stops at 95%, tries three times and fails in the end (always).

What I tried: Disconnect and re-connect via VictronConnect app (several times). Deleted cache, uninstalled and re-installed VictronConnect app.

Do the devices have different software versions?

What can I do furthermore? Could you please help with that issue?

Best regards

Steve

Bluetooth
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi,

Thank you for attaching the service report. Unfortunately this did not immediately show what the cause is of the problem. When did the problems start to occur? Was this after switching to a new phone, after a VictronConnect update, after a firmware update, or perhaps something else?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
steveplatzoeder avatar image steveplatzoeder Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Hi together,

are there any suggestions what I can do to investigate furthermore on this issue?

Kind regards

Seve

0 Likes 0 ·
Kai Squires avatar image Kai Squires commented ·

I think I may have this issue too, with a Samsung A03

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/228080/android-connection-to-smartshunt-hq2241.html

Can Victron confirm this chipset also suffers from the 95% issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
9 Answers
steveplatzoeder answered ·

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi Thiemo,

thank you for caring about this issue. Unfortunately I updated 2 of the three devices by using the old phone, just before trying the new phone.

Today there was another update for the Smartshunt again. I installed it, but makes no difference. My old phone still works with all devices, the new one won't, except on the Orion TR.

After removing all connections an connecting freshly with the new phone, the smarthub is shown in "my devices" correctly. When trying to connect, the process again gets stuck at 95% and times out.

I attached another service report, maybe it helps.

On my old phone I have frequently been asked to allow access to a "standard USB device" in a popup window. On my new phone this never happened. Perhaps a hint to something...

Kind regards

Steve

VictronConnect_report.log

2 |3000

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi

We were able to reproduce the issue and this phone has the same problem as mentioned in another post about a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8: the phone does not follow the Bluetooth specification. We are still investigating whether we can circumvent the problem in firmware or in VictronConnect.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Hi Thiemo,

thank you for informing us. Please keep us posted on any positive outcomes. Just to add, the Orion TR with current firmware works with this phone without any problem, so maybe you could have a look on how it is done there.

Best regards

Steve

2 |3000

Hi Thiemo,

are there any news concerning the bluetooth connection issue?

Best regards

Steve

2 |3000

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi,

The latest beta of VictronConnect contains a fix for this issue. This can be downloaded here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta. When this is installed, I am not sure whether it will automatically be updated when a new version is released via the Play Store so be aware of that. This fix will of course also be included in the next official release, but I have no idea when this will be available in the Play Store.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 comments
2 |3000

steveplatzoeder avatar image steveplatzoeder commented ·
Hi Thiemo,

thank you for your efforts. I will try the beta and post the result here.

Kind regards

Steve

0 Likes 0 ·
steveplatzoeder avatar image steveplatzoeder commented ·
Hi together,

just to give feedback: The beta works with Nokia G11. Thanks to the Victron team!

Best regards

Steve

0 Likes 0 ·
alfilfo avatar image
alfilfo answered ·

Hi @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff)

Identical issue with my new Nokia T10 8" tablet and a Smartsolar Mppt 100/20. I have done the same tests with the same results. Bluetooth connect until 95%, then fail.

It would be appreciated if you could review it for future updates

Best regards.

5 comments
2 |3000

Hi @alfilfo

This likely has the same problem as the Nokia G11 and the Samsung Tab A8 as it uses the same chipset. To be able to apply the same fix for this model, we need a Service Report. Can you create one and then append it here to a comment? The procedure to create a service report can be found here: https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_How-to-create-a-VictronConnect-Service-Report

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
alfilfo avatar image alfilfo Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

- Workin fine in SmartSolar MPPT 150/35

- Fail in SmartSolar MPPT 150/70 - Tr

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11SuWS81q3vfPCWy_Hr3ncGNySyR97enW/view?usp=drive_link

- Fail in Smat Solar MPPT 100/20

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11P_UPLHZohHKhkJsiJFoYD6Wt-rgCjwa/view?usp=drive_link

Hope this can help.

Kind regards.

Alfonso.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ alfilfo commented ·

Hi @alfilfo

Thank you for the service report. We just released a new version (v5.94) which does not yet contain a fix for this tablet, but a next version will.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
alfilfo avatar image alfilfo Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

After the update to version 5.95 everything is working correctly.

Thank you so much.

Kind regards.

Alfonso.

1 Like 1 ·

I really appreciate your interest in the issue and the quick response you've had. I look forward to the new version where the solution will be.

Thank you for your help and dedication. Thank you so much.

Kind regards.

Alfonso.

0 Likes 0 ·
tighernan avatar image
tighernan answered ·

I'm also having the same issue, samsung S10, bluetooth light is staying on, message saying a device is already connected. There is no other device's nearby, plus I get the same message even if my phone bluetooth is turned off.

1 comment
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

plus I get the same message even if my phone bluetooth is turned off.

How do you get any message with the Bluetooth turned off?

0 Likes 0 ·
kavitama avatar image
kavitama answered ·

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue but with the following devices:

- my phone is a Motorola G20 with Android 11 (Build RTAS31.68-66-3)

- SmartBMV - BMV-712 Smart(48v)

- VE.Direct.Smart (the bluetooth external dongle) connected to an MPPT 150/35 (48v)

I can access the SmartBMV without any problem but when I try to access the MPPT via the bluetooth dongle I get till 95% and then it retries 2 more times ending with "not possible to connect"

I bet the problem is in the bluetooth of my phone since with another phone I can access with no problem to both devices: any chance you can tell me if it could be solved?

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @kavitama

The Motorola G20 contains the problematic UNISOC T series processor. We will implement a workaround in a future VictronConnect.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 Like 1 ·
kavitama avatar image kavitama Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Thank you Thiemo.

Same is happening with an old Motorola G4: same reason ?

By the way, any ETA on the workaround?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @kavitama

The Motorola G4 has a different cpu so it should not suffer from this problem. So maybe it is another problem. What you could try is temporarily disconnect the external dongle for 10 seconds and then plug it back in.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·