question

alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob asked

Cerbo GX on wired LAN, sensor on same LAN far away?

Is it possible to have a sensor supply data to a Cerbo GX over a wired LAN despite being far from the Cerbo? Or do sensors have to be wired into the Cerbo or connected via WiFi or BlueTooth?

cerbo gxsensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

That depends on the "sensor". Most Victron components connect to Cerbo via one of three busses: VE.bus for inverter/chargers, VE.Can and VE.Direct for other devices. Each bus has a specified limit. There are a few things that could connect vie a LAN such as an energy meter and that of course would be limited to the 100 meter ethernet limit. External temperature and tank level sensors would connect to the Cerbo's dedicated inputs or via Bluetooth LE (Mopeka, Ruuvi) and of course these would be limited to a reasonable distance for reliable communication. Remote bluetooth USB interfaces can be added for extended range, taking into consideration the USB cable length limits.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob commented ·

Thanks. I'm planning on having my Cerbo GX connected to a fiber optic LAN network and the fiber network will run around the property. I'd really like to be able to have various sensors, also on that fiber network, be able to supply their info to the Cerbo over the network. I'd also like to have a Raspberry Pi with a touchscreen running the Victron Connect App using the LAN.

Due to distances and remoteness of the property, I'd like to avoid WiFi, internet, and bluetooth for all my communication and control of the Cerbo.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources