question

basreflex avatar image
basreflex asked

simple solar irradiance sensor using tanklevel inputs

I took a BPW34 photodiode with 240 ohms resistor in paralell and connected that to the tank level input. tank sensor type set to 30- 240ohms. diode cathode (the slightly wider pin) should go to the odd numbered tank level input of the venus GX. the other side to the odd pin +1 number. do not short the wires to any other wires , do not connect to ground. solar sensor.jpg

Venus GX - VGXsensor
solar-sensor.jpg (19.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

That sounds like an excellent idea! We’ll look at that in R&D; to see if we can make it a standard solution. Thanks!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

basreflex avatar image basreflex commented ·

I did use a single diode, getting 1.1mA only on a low spanish sun (when it shines directly into my office). this does not match my initial estimates of the diode sensitivity of 0.62A/W (corrected for the diode area assuming 1kW/m2 solar.)

(Edited: I have the number; thank you! I’ll know more next week. Matthijs).

0 Likes 0 ·
jayw avatar image
jayw answered ·

Can you share any feedback on how this has performed?

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff) Any word from R&D team regarding this?

Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, yes: not accurate enough to be useful / sell-able.

0 Likes 0 ·
Pat Davitt avatar image
Pat Davitt answered ·

I use a Solar Irradiance/Temperature sensor from IMT Solar. Have just update my post "Calculating and Controlling Excess PV Power". Please take a look.

Thanks,

Pat

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic