question

nesswill avatar image
nesswill asked

Strange DC jump

Hi all, anyone else seen this happen, i did nothing and 60 to 120w is the maximum i would expect

Cerbo GX latest firmware (on all below too)

Smartshunt

Smartsolar MPPT RS 450/100 x2

Inverter RS Smart 48v/6000va

1830Ah AGM Battery's

odd.jpg

VRMVenus OS
odd.jpg (183.0 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·

And 30 x550w pv.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi Victron, any comment please i am a bit worried it just jumped up like this for no reason! bug or problem??

Cheers Dave.

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

At 3am this morning while I was sleeping it jumped back to normal 120w???

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@nesswill

So what else happened at 3am? I'm trying to narrow it down to something that can actually be investigated..

1 Like 1 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill JohnC ♦ commented ·

Hi John, thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to help me with this, below is when it happened and all i can see happening near the time is fridge & freezers turning on & off normal cooling cycle (AC) but apart from that nothing ?

f-and-f.jpg

So i am lost to what it could be? If there is anything else you need please let me know,

Thanks again John, Cheers Dave.

0 Likes 0 ·
f-and-f.jpg (136.5 KiB)
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ nesswill commented ·

@nesswill

At 3am, that's a great example of the issue. Unless you're a nightowl fiddler(?) it looks like something totally random, and not reproducible until a 'cause' can be found. It gets tougher when most of us here aren't familiar with the RS kit either

I doubt it's in VRM, more likely at the GX end. If it happens again, check the GX figures against VRM's and try rebooting the GX to see if anything changes. Even disable the web to test.

It seems like some sort of data corruption thing, in the way it's handled. And that draws me back to the bluetooth thing. We've seen other unpredictable bt weirdness on threads here with a double network in play, and could be related somehow. You have a lot of Smart capability there, so keep an eye on that aspect and minimise it's use wherever you can. Disable where possible, even at the GX if you can spare your sensors for a short while for testing (a reboot too then).

But I guess we have to wait for the issue to recur. I wish we could help you more, but this is indeed a weird one. I'll stay interested and can elevate this issue for you, but we need more clues. That's still the challenge. Like it might even be just a bad cable or terminal that needs a wiggle..

I hope it doesn't recur, but if it does, have your testing plan ready.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

What is the picture showing? The AC output power, or what is it?

4 comments
2 |3000

DC power - Systen in vrm watts

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ nesswill commented ·
Do you have something specifically measuring the DC watts?
1 Like 1 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Hi Alexandra, thank for the reply, no just a SmartShunt.

I have put a fluke inline to check as it say 73w (currently reading over 700w in VRM), all i have on the DC side is a Switch, IP Cam on PoE and a DC to DC converter (Orion Tr 48/12v -9ah) so i can run the Cerbo GX on 12v (apart from all the Victron stuff above)

I know its a rubbish reading just cant work out what it jumped to 8 to 10 times what's real, and unfortunately i need it enabled due to the equipment above.

Cheers Dave.

0 Likes 0 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill nesswill commented ·
just noticed in VRM that the DC Power is exactly double my AC Load? not sure what that means....if anything?
0 Likes 0 ·
nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

Still have this problem Victron, any comment please? (even if its just to say its ok)

power.jpg

FYI - The DC System above is reading double the SmartShunt. The SmartShunt is correct i have check with a multimeter.

Thanks Dave.

power.jpg (163.6 KiB)
2 |3000

nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

Victron, i will be running a wind turbine soon so i will need this fixing as the DC Power will give me some idea of what turbine is producing currently that's impossible with this meaningless DC reading.

Cheers, Dave.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You'll have to give more information. How is the system wired, what part of the system is giving these readings. Showing us the smartshunt and MPPT readings would help a lot.

But while we're trying to help, your dealer is primary support.

8 comments
2 |3000

Thanks for the reply this is just with "Has DC" i guess an update was done to VRM as it happened @ 2am, nothing is wrong with any equipment i think there is a bug in how this is calculated but as i will be feeding in a DC charge source (Wind Turbine) i would like to use this (to get an idea of the power its producing) other wise i will just have to turn it off and try and find another way to incorporate the charge coming from the wind turbine into my Victron system.

0 Likes 0 ·
@nesswill

You have a lot of 'Smart' devices. Do you have any of them 'networked' via the bluetooth?

1 Like 1 ·

Hi John, thanks for the reply.

No i did check again yesterday, all connected through the Cerbo GX only.

Thanks Dave.

0 Likes 0 ·
@nesswill

The Cerbo also has bt. Maybe disable that, you don't use it do you? Trying to eliminate external factors/interference.

This is weird stuff you're reporting. I'm thinking it may be related to something in the newish RS inverter, perhaps even the way it reports to the GX. And the 'Has DC' calcs have slipped by the devs. There's certainly a relationship between your stepping and AC loads, and you may be the first to spot it.

If you can raise any more relevant data to nail it down a bit more, it might help with a quick fix.

-1 Like -1 ·

Thanks for the suggestions John.

I do use bt on the Cerbo for x4 ruuvitag temp sensor, did try turning if off by no difference.

One thing i did notice and not sure if it has any bearing on anything is, on the Inverter the watts say 478ac (under Inverting) and when it cycles to battery its says -378dc, the VRM reports AC that is the same as the inverter so theses match... (the battery w seems always the be about 100w difference to AC)

vrm-ac1.jpg

So ok the History below looks like it reports the AC usage per hour/day (when i add up the AC Load over an hour in matches the history below))

vrm-ac2.jpg

but when i turn off "Has DC System" the history stops! suggesting the usage above is not AC but DC usage?? and the DC reading on the inverter (350w dc) dose not match the above history.

vrm-dc.jpg

Not sure if all that makes any sense? So is there a AC/DC swap / miss match somewhere or is the VRM "DC Power" in the inverter adding the AC and DC together + my DC current draw?? (seems to add up when i do the sums but could just me coincidence?)

Sorry forgot to get pictures of the inverter display and the numbers i have typed in are just an example not representative to (all) the picture above.

Dave.

0 Likes 0 ·
vrm-ac1.jpg (9.7 KiB)
nesswill avatar image nesswill nesswill commented ·

My DC ripple seems ok to.

screenshot-20230203-184923.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw nesswill commented ·

Have you considered using a dedicated shunt for the DC loads? What profile is the shunt configured for? Are all devices, including the shunt on the latest firmware?1676533773554.png

-1 Like -1 ·
1676533773554.png (163.3 KiB)
nesswill avatar image nesswill ejrossouw commented ·

Hi ejrossouw thank you for the reply & idea.

Yes everything is on the latest firmware, that's a good idea - thank you i haven't considered that, i will give it some thought .

Thanks again, Dave.

0 Likes 0 ·
nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

Hi my pv charge power just jumped into the DC power box?? Then jumped back the pv charge went to -23 and the DC power to -900 witch is what the pv is producing!!

Anyone else just seen this?

2 |3000

nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

Looks like it happened four times this is in the vrm

screenshot-20230226-130540-chrome.jpg

screenshot-20230226-131031-chrome.jpg

2 |3000