question

Howard avatar image
Howard asked

RS MPPT 450/100 & 450/200 three units all error 200 faults. Anyone having similar issues?

We have install several RS 450/100,200 MPPT units. However 2 x 450/100 error 200 and 1 x 450/200, same error 200. Only two units out of all the installed units actually worked on startup.

We have checked and double check our installations, they are all according to specifications.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue or is there something we are simply missing?

mppt rs
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jyweet avatar image jyweet commented ·
Same problem here, unit worked for about 4 days the stopped at midday during full power production.

Surely Victron must be aware of the problem but decided it is more cost effective to keep replacing the units rather than solving the problem. There must be some point where consumer protection steps in and we should be able to recover our time and effort losses when having to return equipment form remote sites.

-1 Like -1 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ jyweet commented ·

@JyWeet

Finding the root of the problem and a solution for it needs some time.

If it is a hardware problem it needs even more time to change the HW, produce the new devices and deliver them to the users.

0 Likes 0 ·
11 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Howard

The units are faulty.

See error 200 in the manual.

As long as you had no electrically exciting moments during system connect it is not likely anything you did

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Howard avatar image Howard commented ·

Many thanks for your response.

Everything went as it should. On start up it came up with the error code 200

That's all.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Howard commented ·
@Howard

So faulty. Just return for the RMA with your system and panel config.

I have had one do it randomly, it had been in operation for over three months (before it got the error 200). It was replaced under warranty.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dean Perry avatar image
Dean Perry answered ·

Came looking for this post - having almost never seen an error #200 on an RS450/100 in over a year of shipping them I have now seen four in a week.

Is this a firmware thing or a component degradation thing? All of the units are recent installs - nothing particularly different from the many others we've shipped. Adequate cabling, breakers. Voc is fine, standard batteries...

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Might be component batch related. I have noticed a definite issues with quality component supplies elsewhere in industry. Using the proper RMA process is important to pick up issues like this.
0 Likes 0 ·
everest15 avatar image
everest15 answered ·

Think i'll add my 50 cents to this discussion... I've built several systems in the past year, mostly using RS450/100s. Of the 5 that I bought, 3 failed within a month or two of going online (brand new, always updated the firmware quickly). That's over a 50% failure rate on these units, it's a worrying trend this year which I hope Victron can solve quickly.

I've made a fair bit of analysis on the failures and noticed the following points that may help others reading this:

1. Each of the units ran fine until the first cold sunny day where the panels output was higher than previously.

2. Each units would fail quickly - no preemptive warnings, so was not a slow process. (always error #200).

3. The units were in systems where the amps on a cold sunny day were expected to reach 100amps (and thus require current limiting in the RS450).

4. The two units that didn't fail were in identical systems to the faulty units, except that the groups of panels in those working systems are facing in different directions. ie: String#1 is facing East and string#2 facing South or SW and thus would never reach 100amps total current flow. Whereas the failed systems had all panels facing exactly South.

The system spec: String #1: 6x Trina vertex S400w panels, string#2: exactly the same. RS450/100, incoming pv cables all 4mm. Output to Victron distributer, 15kwh Lifepo4 battery bank, dual multiplus II 5kva inverters.

Note: I suspect the failures also occurred when the battery bank was full, the inverters had no loads and thus the overall DC system voltage likely reached its max 55.7v absorption voltage and 55v float voltage. The victron calculator does show that a maxed out float voltage state on the system will put higher loading on the RS450 and seems to infer this will make it get closer to its limits. - that might be something to consider in this case too.

1 comment
2 |3000

Likely the batteries shut down/disconnected and there was some overshoot?
1 Like 1 ·
RH avatar image
RH answered ·

Here the same, one of two RS450/100 is faulty with #200 DC Voltage error after a lifetime of 4 months without a early Warning.

:-(

All Strings connected on the Unit have a short circuit, it do not matter the Power State is On or Off.

Whats going on? Is there a official Statment from Virctron?

1 comment
2 |3000

Just remember the forum is where peoples problems frequent. You will only really hear about problems here, so the bias is strong. No one ever posts when a system has been without problems.

I have a system installed with 6 x 450/100s no issues in over a year. it has experienced, hot cold, cloud edge effect and all the seasons.... So far two thumbs up.

3 Likes 3 ·
jasonsele avatar image
jasonsele answered ·

Got a replacement under warranty for mine with the #200 error. The new one has been installed to the same setup and working fine for the past week.

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

@Howard @Dean Perry @Everest15 @RH @jasonsele

What batteries do you use?

We think this only happens in system with batteries with internal BMS and without communication to the Victron system.

e.g. the MPPT is charging at full power an because of a cell imbalance the BMS suddenly cuts off the charging into the battery. That causes a massive overshoot of the battery voltage at the MPPT and damages the MPPT.

A battery with communication sends a signal "please stop charging" and the MPPT has time to "slowly" reduce the charging current.

8 comments
2 |3000

RH avatar image RH commented ·

@Matthias Lange - DE

In my Case i use Pylontech US 2000C ( in all Specefication fine )

Unfortunately, I don't share your assumption. The failure occurred when the SOC was at 65%. The MPPTs were not under full load. The string voltage was 370V and very far from a critical point. At all times there was a connection to the BMS of the pylontechs. Your thesis cannot therefore be confirmed.

I am aware that Victron is aware of the problem. Unfortunately, it is not communicated which batches are affected.

It is obvious that it is mosfet components that have a quality problem. All strings have a short circuit when the error occurs, which is relevant to safety. We are all waiting for an official statement from the manufacturer.

1 Like 1 ·
RH avatar image RH RH commented ·
1 Like 1 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thank you all for your response that can help finding the cause of the problem.

It seem our observation/conclusion is not the cause.

Maybe you all can add the serialnumber of the faulty devices and the VRM ID of the system so Victron can take a closer look at the moment of failure.

You can make your answers only viewable for moderators:

1681878432051.png

1 Like 1 ·
1681878432051.png (15.8 KiB)
jasonsele avatar image jasonsele Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

My replacement just died with a #200 error again. It worked for 8 days. It looks like it shut off at 5:24pm with my batteries around 85% after working fine all day with some sun. I'd be happy to send it to you for investigation. Looks like I may need to go with 2 X 250 MPPT instead to avoid this issue anyway.

It shut off and then I turned it off/on today at noon to see why it was not charging. It immediately showed the #200 error. It's overcast with heavy rain today so not much solar. It didn't show any error before I restarted it so whatever caused the #200 error shut off the system before it recorded any alarm or log entry. It's been running firmware 1.11 since the first day.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dennis Leth Andersen avatar image Dennis Leth Andersen Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

screenshot-20230524-195508-chrome.jpgI had the same problem with two RS450/100 with only 2 days between they fault. Serial no. HQ2220 and HQ2224screenshot-20230524-195404-chrome.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
everest15 avatar image everest15 commented ·
Hi Mathias, thanks for your suggestion on the possible cause. I will explore this avenue further that you proposed. However I should point out that I am using 3x premium Leoch 48100T batteries (fully BMS) at 100AH each (48v parallel) which are connected to the Cerbo GX via Victron's official BMS CAN cable which must be communicating fine as the GX touch reports the battery SOC that the Leoch's have on their displays. Then the RS450 is connected to that same Cerbo via ve CAN bus with an RJ45 cable.

So in this case, can't we reasonably assume that the batteries are informing the MPPT of a "stop charging" signal to reduce current?

Its worth also noting that these batteries now fully support DVCC on the latest firmware. The first RS450 on this system failed without dvcc enabled (set to 55.6v absorption and 54.9v float within the RS450). Then the second unit was installed after the RMA, and I enabled DVCC on that via the Cerbo touch panel. That one lasted 6 weeks then also failed with DC error #200 and also had to have an RMA. Now just installed the 3rd unit!, lets hope its a case of 3rd time lucky, but I'm not hopeful.

Really hope Victron can find a way to ensure this "overshoot" doesn't occur (some sort of buffer perhaps), if that is actually what is causing the issue.

But considering that we have 2 other solar systems here (almost identical) with the same batteries and same BMS CAN connection and those have not had any issue, it does make me think the primary culprit is having 12 panels all pointing the same direction and reaching the 100amp cutoff, which is not happening on the other 2 systems since their panels point 6 in one direction and 6 in another direction.

0 Likes 0 ·
jasonsele avatar image jasonsele commented ·

I have 3 EG4-LL 48v 5KW batteries with internal BMS. They are communicating to the Victron system though. My solar panels are close to the max voltage at times but this charge controller worked fine for a month before I experienced the error. The replacement has been working for the past week with more sunshine though so I'm sure I have hit higher voltage and amps now than I did previously.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dean Perry avatar image Dean Perry commented ·
I like agree with the basic idea - most of the systems in my case are heavily loaded during peak solar times and often have AC coupled PV so between the inverter chargers and the RS450s the amount of current on the DC bus can be quite high so lots of potential for problems.

A problem with that idea is they've all been Pylontech, BYD or other smart batteries. Has there been any changes to DVCC algorithms regard slew rate on charge? That's not something that really comes through in the firmware notes (although I note CAN-related DVCC changes in Venus 2.94).

In at least one instance I've seen this happen with mid-charge batteries (60%) asking for heaps of current (the RS 450 in that case was literally freshly installed, as were the batteries).
0 Likes 0 ·
dieter-lubbe avatar image
dieter-lubbe answered ·

Another MPPT RS450/100 died after only 1 day of operation, Error 200.

Also an HQ2232 unit. My other HQ2139 unit is still working like a champ.

Any feedback from Victron on these issues?

2 |3000

Dennis Leth Andersen avatar image
Dennis Leth Andersen answered ·

Yes I agree that Victron must come with an update regarding this faulty product. I have had two RS450/100 with this error. Now I'm waiting the supplier to replace the RS450 units.

2 |3000

peterg-1 avatar image
peterg-1 answered ·

We have also had two of our four MPPT RS 450/100 units fail in the last week ( 6 days apart) with error #200. They have been installed and running since October 2022. On firmware V1.11 and running on a 48V bank of 3000Ah Narada lead carbon batteries (150kWh). One failed with battery bank fully charged at 55.2V and the other at 60% SOC. String voltages have never exceed 423V, but units operate close to 100A output in sunny weather as in recent weeks. Given that there is no BMS on these batteries it is unlikely to be anything to do with issues of sudden BMS cutoff signals. More likely these units can simply not operate for extended periods near their maximum ratings. Very interest to hear comments from Victron on these faults.

2 |3000

jasonsele avatar image
jasonsele answered ·

I had two different units fail with error #200. I've replaced it with 2 X 250/60's and they have been fine for several weeks. I gave up on the 450/100. From all the comments it does look like 450/100's with a manufacturer date in the latter half of 2022 appear to be the issue but I'm not sure if it has been resolved in newer units. The 250/60's run pretty hot and I suspect the 450/100 gave me a little more watts from my solar panels so it would be nice to have it workingbut I couldn't sit around waiting.

4 comments
2 |3000

jasonsele avatar image jasonsele nesswill commented ·
Yes, but too late. I've already replaced mine a couple months ago.
0 Likes 0 ·
Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala nesswill commented ·

Well now I got worried, my still working RS 250/100 is

HQ2236PPYYA

end of the given range, does it mean it is a) affected b) eligible for replacement?

I appreciate 10 year extended warranty but I paid full price for it. @nesswill

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Juha Tuomala commented ·

"HQ2216 up to and including HQ2236"

Your unit is a and b.

You can get a replacement or extended warranty (you have that automatically).

1 Like 1 ·
jjbond avatar image
jjbond answered ·

I saw the bulletin regarding the 100 and it's recall but I have a 450/200 so I didn't pay attention to it, yet now I see this thread with lots of people having problems with 200's.... VICTRON, what's going on, is my 200 a ticking time bomb or is it just 100's that you are recalling?

3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
What is your serial number?
0 Likes 0 ·
jjbond avatar image jjbond Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

I've pulled it out of service, I'll have to physically go look tomorrow, thx (Note: I do know I purchased it in Aug of 2021).

0 Likes 0 ·
jjbond avatar image jjbond Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Hi Matthias, thanks for responding, I just looked at the unit that's up on the shelf, it's HQ2112D5913

Jen

0 Likes 0 ·