question

nvs avatar image
nvs asked

Orion DC-DC discharges the vehicle battery

Hello all,

I have installed severals orion's tr smart isolated dc-dc chargers over the past year, so it's not my first time that I'm talking about this subject. Anyway, this is my second client (rv conversion) that he's complaining that his main (vehicle) battery is completely discharged. I'm trying to figure out why the dc-dc is discharging the main battery..., it's installed, wired & protected according to the manual. I have found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDXixCzg6iw but I tell myself that it's a smart device and it must be some of my settings (by default ones according to the battery technology) that are not good ?

Is the buck boost a better alternative ?

Thank you for sharing your experince

diagramme-sans-nom-page-1drawio-1.png

orion dc-dc
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Perhaps you can help us to help by sharing the Orion settings, how it's wired and how you're controlling its behaviour.
0 Likes 0 ·
nvs avatar image nvs kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Hello, like I said before, I'm using only the default settings from the app connect & the wiring is following the manual...

0 Likes 0 ·
djsmiley avatar image djsmiley nvs commented ·
default settings is power supply mode. So by default, and using the included jumper, will cause it to discharge.

Setup the unit properly and use either engine detection or D+.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ nvs commented ·
We're simply guessing here. There are multiple control modes on the Orions and multiple settings. If you don't give us precise detailed information we are all wasting our time.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Anyway, this is my second client (rv conversion) that he's complaining that his main (vehicle) battery is completely discharged.

Completely discharged over what period of time?

0 Likes 0 ·
nvs avatar image nvs seb71 commented ·

Between 2 weeks and 1 month.

The consumption of the Orion is 0,08A so by 24h = 1,92A x 15days = 28,8A x 2 (one month) = 57,6A ...

It's possible that is this "stand by" consumption ?

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources