question

terjeau avatar image
terjeau asked

Use of one output on Blue Smart IP22 12V 3 channel as a +12V signal

Can I use output 1 for charging and output 2 as a +12V signal output to my CBE distribution board to detect whether the charger (i.e. camper van) is connected to 230V or not? Will the Blue Smart give constant +12V on output 2, or cycle between outputs, which will turn on and off the +12V "signal" in my case?

The reason I need this is that my legacy CBE CB516 charger had a "S" net +12V signal output to inform the CBE distribution board about the 230V connected state. This is used both to turn on the "230V connected" led on the control panel, and to administrate the charger relay for starter battery charging.

The legacy "S" net +12V signal was rated 50mA. Will the Blue Smart "push" too much current which may blow my distribution board?

If this is possible, will somebody please guide me through any important config settings?

VictronConnectvictron communitybluesmart ip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

No problem.

You can use any power supply for the S indicator as long as it can supply 50mA or more. A 3-channel can be used for this as well, I only would recommend adding a small in-line fuse (500mA) to the S-wire, since that wire can't handle the 20-30A of the Victron.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

terjeau avatar image terjeau commented ·

Thank you! Yes the wire into the distribution board is very thin (of course since it is a signal cable only). I can add a fuse, but how to avoid the fuse to blow constantly due to high currents from Victron? Any way of configurating the outputs in a smart way?

And you think the Blue Smart output 2 will give me permanent +12V when 230V is connected, and the Blue Smart will not cycle between the 2 connected outputs (giving periodicly 0V at output 2)?

0 Likes 0 ·
djsmiley avatar image djsmiley terjeau commented ·

Why would the fuse blow? The CBE's electronics don't use more than 50mA so unless something fails the fuse won't trip.

The output will give permanent +12V. A little more actually since it's just the same output as the other terminals, so voltage depending on the charger's state: Absorbtion voltage or float voltage (or between that while in bulk). In all cases it's not 0V, since the charger is not stopping charge (no float) but it does maintain a float voltage (13.5V with a LFP battery)

0 Likes 0 ·
terjeau avatar image terjeau djsmiley commented ·
Thank you again! I don't need to do any config change to optimize my Smart Blue settings for using output 2 as a +12V signal? I see my dealer has glas fuses down to 200mA, so I'll go for that and a in-line fuse holder I think.
0 Likes 0 ·