question

salv avatar image
salv asked

Multiplus firmware for DVCC

Hi everyone, trying to sync voltages maybe I'm missing something?

Just have a couple of questions is DVCC okay to use with the 415 firmware on the multiplus as it requires 422 firmware I'm trying not to update it unless really have to (the multi is around 8 years old with new chip)

Or, is it best to either use the VE smart network instead it's mostly just to sync voltages

The system spec

Victron multiplus firmware 415

Two Victron smart solar mppts, 150/85 (10 series)which needs the latest Bluetooth dongle for the VE smart network to work and 100/50 (11 series) which has option already.

Victron Smartshunt

And CCGX

Lithium battery bank with heater inbuilt not Victron

Would it just be easier to just buy the BT dongle for the 150/85 mppt so to connect smartshunt/mppts to VE smart network or is there another way to sync voltages

Any ideas would be great thanks

MPPT SmartSolarDVCCbattery system voltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Salv

You have to update.

And the VE smart network is not compatible with use in a system that has a GX.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Thanks for quick response, Oh so is DVCC my only option then

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Salv

DVCC is the only option if you also want to share V with the Multi. That to me is more important than between the mppts. DVCC a step up anyway from the bt, customisable, and rock solid.

415 fw is quite ancient now. Not sure why you're averse to the upgrade, but it'll be worth it. If you need help doing it, please ask..

2 |3000

salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Thanks JohnC we speak again, what's the easiest and best way to do this I have an Mk2 usb interface, as it's been a while, will the upgrade be like found on the Victron connect tells you which version to upgrade to.

Just a question though, on DVCC will the voltage from the smartshunt be also shared with the mppts, as I'm finding quite a delay from each other when one goes to say abs/float, the two mppts and all PV panels are on same array south facing

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Salv

Ha, our previous contact was a GX fw update issue. Seems you're wary of them. :)

Victron Connect should work ok. Been thinking about updating mine for a while (v474 to v501), so I just tried it (Win pc/MK3). All ok, but can't confirm what it might do with v415. You'll need to rebuild any custom settings though. I thought I'd be clever and save the old settings file and reload it via VRM. That didn't work well, so did it manually (it said the old .rvsc file wasn't compatible with the new fw). So note the settings (or save the file) if you can't remember.

The 'easiest' way is probably to update fw via VRM. But it may well have a limit how far back you can go, and if your CCGX is old (like mine) it will baulk with a #1342 message.

VEFlash the fallback if all else fails.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Bus_Configuration_Guide/en/firmware-updates.html

Edit/: Once you get set up with DVCC, ditch the Smart network.

0 Likes 0 ·
salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Yes you remember it was the CCGX update only problem I found so far that you can't change the hours on the generator settings as this is a off-grid system no big deal it also takes just a lot longer to boot.

As of settings I was going to save them anyway nothing really other than lithium voltage settings most settings are on the CCGX anyway,

I don't have MK3 which I don't think Victron Connect connect would work on MK2 and not connected to VRM either, The smart network I have never used as one of the MPPTS is older Bluetooth but no smart network which with the BT dongle would of fixed.

Thanks for the heads-up I think best stick to the VEFlash as if I get errors the other way I would have to address them as well

Just a question though on DVCC it looking at the Multiplus would it control it's settings to sync with the other devices and with the firmware update also fix a problem I sometime have...

I'm finding while charging Lithium with the multiplus I can't stay in adsorption too long as sometimes when the charger clicks off, the multiplus shuts down and reboots. I've even set absorption voltage down to 28v it could also be overvoltage spike at that exact point which I've seen, possibly the BMS rebooting, any idea?

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Salv

Try Connect with the MK2 anyway. It should show the file number, like 26xx501.vff that it sees as necessary. Up to you whether to say go. I think at that point it's all local web. Disconnect the VE.Bus cable from the Multi to the GX so there's no chance of interference, whatever way you use.

Re the DVCC syncing with the mppts, it won't sync Charge State. Not designed to, and with Lithiums probably irrelevant anyway. Especially offgrid with a genset. At least all kit can see the same V, and with compatible bms could even use that as the reference V for the entire system. It's why DVCC is tops.

Maybe ask a separate question for the batt issues if they remain. Let's get you ready first.

0 Likes 0 ·
salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Okay thanks I'll let you know how I get on

2 |3000

salv avatar image
salv answered ·

Update: Just as I thought I can confirm 100% the MK2 interface doesn't work with Victron connect.

2 |3000

Related Resources

DVCC chapter in GX manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic