question

roamer avatar image
roamer asked

Multi RS 48/6000 ACIN1 relay does not close

Have a customer with a Multi RS 48/6000 in a truck, connected to generic 48V CANbus batteries. No problem charging from solar (via separate MPPT) but the batteries will not charge from the Multi RS when connected to shore power. The message on screen says ACIN1 relay open which would explain why its not working but I can't find any settings that relate to this relay, or any reason why it would not close when connection is active.

There are no faults in the log except battery voltage low (its currently at 45V so desperately needs charging asap). I've tried with DVCC enabled and disabled and with battery canbus cable unplugged so I'm 99% sure its something internal to the RS Multi. Any ideas?

RelayMulti RS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
roamer avatar image
roamer answered ·

Ok I tracked this down and it turns out the customer had changed the high AC-input limit to 230V instead of the default 265V.... so it was seeing the input voltage as too high and not closing the relay. Its now working and charging correctly, thanks for your help

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

check assistants and make sure there is not one there thats holding the acin 1 open

also check the incoming power to make sure its within spec.

try turning week ac on, or ups off

otherwise more setup information is needed

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Also check the "Aux input" settings in VictronConnect.
If it is set to "AC IN Connect" and the Aux input is open circuit, then the AC IN relays will never close.
Set it to "Unused" if you are not using the AC IN Connect feature.

2 |3000

roamer avatar image
roamer answered ·

Its using the default factory settings - we initially set it up to be controlled by the BMS via DVCC but I've tried it with this on and off and issue is the same.

No assistants active, incoming power looks good (I can see 230V on input on Cerbo and also checked with a multimeter). UPS is off. Aux input is set to 'unused'.

There is a section in Victron Connect called 'AC Input Control' which initially looked the most likely culprit but 'conditional AC input connection' option is turned off so I can't see how it can be related to that. This section seems to have been added with the most recent firmware update as it doesn't appear on another customer install that is on the original firmware.

2 |3000

roamer avatar image
roamer answered ·

img-1534.jpg

I can see 240V on AC-In but 'Active AC Input' is disconnected. Why would this be?

img-1534.jpg (3.5 MiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Mutli RS Solar Datasheet

Mutli RS Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic