question

ako avatar image
ako asked

Shunt questions

I am seriously considering adding a 500 amp Shunt so Im reading the manual to find out more about them first . There are a couple of paragraphs that i cant get my head around .

" Although the battery monitor automatically detects the voltage, it is good practice to check if this setting is correctly set. These are the recommended “Charged voltage” values for lead acid batteries: "

They recommend 26.4v for a 24v battery , my charge voltage is much higher at 28.8v and i think many would also be around the same as mine so why do they give one much lower .

What is it that im not understanding .

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Charged voltage is not charging voltage. The shunt needs two things to recognise a charged battery, voltage and tail current. These have to be at or better than the levels programmed into the shunt for the detection time.

One the second question, the idea is to synchronise just before charging stops.

Background. Chargers work on. Three stage cycle, bulk when the charger puts out as much current as it can, while the battery voltage rises. It stays in bulk until the Absorption voltage is reached. At this point the battery is roughly 80-90% charged. Absorption, fixed voltage, current drops as the battery completed its charging. Float, once current has dropped to the tail current setting, at this point the battery is fully charged. In float the charger drops its output voltage to the float voltage. The detection points are set to take this into account.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.