question

Paul Beskeen avatar image
Paul Beskeen asked

Parallel Multiplus configuration oddities

I have encountered a couple of odd unexpected issues during configuration of my two Multiplus' in parallel. System as described in earlier post.

I started by running VictronConnect and used that to update both inverters firmware to 5.01.

I then used VE.BUS System Configurator as per the Victron professional video to configure the inverters as a parallel pair, then used it to launch VEConfigure for each inverter. Two issues were encountered:

1) As per the Victron video I configured the first inverter and saved the configuration. I then tried to load this configuration and use it to setup the second inverter. This failed due to an issue setting the grid-id and it asked me for a grid password to continue. I guess this is either a bug or at least a special case if the grid code has never been set? I therefore backed out and manually duplicated the configuration on the second inverter.

2) During ESS wizard setup on the second, it failed to ask me to set the aspects such as restart offset or dynamic cut off values. I have run through duplicating the configuration for both inverters a couple of times now and both times it failed to ask me for these values on the second inverter. This seems odd - did I miss a step or setting or something, or is this normal for a parallel system?

ESS summaries for each inverter are posted below - odd large difference in the "size" of assistants too?:

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on the second issue in particular.

Thanks, Paul.

photo-2023-01-24-20-05-22.jpg

photo-2023-01-24-20-05-06.jpg

Multiplus-IIVEConfigure 3multiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
guy-cashmore avatar image
guy-cashmore answered ·

For a 2 Multi system, my suggestion would be use V.E.Bus Quick Configure instead, it's simpler to use. My thought where you say you 'backed out' is that by doing this you effectively still have two stand alone units programmed.

During ESS setup on a parallel systems, some of the parameters are not asked for when programming the slave, this is normal.

Hope this helps!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul Beskeen avatar image Paul Beskeen commented ·

I believe its is configured as a parallel system OK, it's just that the VEConfigure for the second inverter had these oddities.

Thank you for confirming that: "During ESS setup on a parallel systems, some of the parameters are not asked for when programming the slave, this is normal."

That was the key bit of confirmation I needed!

Cheers, Paul.

1 Like 1 ·
Paul Beskeen avatar image
Paul Beskeen answered ·

Just to follow up here. It does appear that you cannot copy and set values on parallel inverter slaves until their grid codes have been set. Would have been good to have a more useful error message. Once that has been done you can load and set the same values from master to slaves.

Thanks to Guy for confirming that the slave ESS wizard will not ask some of the questions and the config will be smaller than for the master. Once you can simply save, load and set the config though these issues become invisible.

2 |3000