question

randy-gardner avatar image
randy-gardner asked

Smart Sense or Smart Shunt

Lithium with no low temp cutoff, these batteries are inside a travel trailer I live in full time. Just in case I would like to add low temp cutoff to my Smart Mppt, correct me if wrong but I thought I could do this the Battery Sense but could the Smart Shunt w/ temp sensor also provide the cutoff to the Bluetooth mppt ?

Smart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Both the smart shunt and battery sense can be configured with VESmart Networking to transmit temperature and voltage over Bluetooth to the Smart MPPT.

For what it’s worth, if it is not built in to the battery, I would go for the Smart Shunt so that you can get state of charge and current.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

randy-gardner avatar image randy-gardner commented ·
Thanks Sarah, definitely going with the Smart Shunt just wasn't sure it shut down charging at Mppt. This would normally not be a problem as I don't stay in cold climates hence the cheaper batteries but you never know, e.g : sunny day driving over a high mountain pass.
0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image Sarah randy-gardner commented ·
Hi @Randy Gardner Have a look at the MPPT temperature settings for lithium batteries in the product demo setting in VictronConnect. You can simulate a ve.smart network with the shunt and MPPT.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual