question

jim-bailey avatar image
jim-bailey asked

Are Quattro 12/5000 and Phoenix 12/3000 inverter able to be wired in series?

Hello all, I am looking for some additional available wattage on our canal barge. The boat was wired in 12 volt with a 12/5000 Quattro. We are close to maxing out the inverter now that winter is here in central France and the heat is on non-stop. Is it possible to add a 3000 watt inverter, say the Phoenix 12/3000 to the system without issue? We have 4-200ah victron lithium batteries and 4-305w victron solar panels. Thank you for your input.

multiple inverters
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

No. Same model and type as similar as possible - same processor and same firmware if possible.

You could wire another 12/5000 with the same processor as your current one.

My concern is where are you getting the energy to drive near 5000W all the time? Your batteries could only power the inverter for about 2 hours, and your panels could only supply enough energy for about 1 hour of operation daily.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jim-bailey avatar image jim-bailey commented ·
Thanks @snoobler. To answer your question, the additional power is only needed when we are on shore power. We use substantially less when we are cruising and off shore power. Thanks again.
0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

When on shore power, you are not using the inverter(s). You are passing through the shore power to loads. If I'm reading the specs correctly, the Quattro 12/5000 can pass through 100A of 230VAC or 23kW. Do you need more than this?

1 comment
2 |3000

jim-bailey avatar image jim-bailey commented ·
Thanks @snoobler. I believe that may be it. I recall the installer setting the Max amperage at maybe 60A. I will check this out today. Take care.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic