question

calebbridges7 avatar image
calebbridges7 asked

Phoenix 12V 500VA 120V for 230w Gaming Laptop?

I use a high power gaming laptop for work (3D rendering and modeling). This laptop requires quite a bit of power 11.8 amps and 230w at max work load. I need to find a way to power this laptop from my car (2017 Toyota Avalon with 130amp alternator). I don’t really need to charge the laptop, but rather power it while working. I own a Phoenix 12V 500VA 120V inverter. I will only use my laptop while the car is running and therefore the alternator is producing power. Additionally I will be making sure that all unnecessary car accessories will be off. The inverter will be wired directly to the battery (not the cigarette/accessory plug). I have two questions: 1. Can anyone spot any problems with this working/setup? 2. Could this possibly damage my alternator or very pricey computer? Thanks for any advice, tips, or directions you guys can give!

Phoenix Inverteralternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @caleb.bridges7

This should work ok in theory. But just check that the small Phoenix doesn't overload when the lappy powerbrick is switched on, the startup surge could spoil the party. You could also test this with the batteries pulled from the lappy.

You may also need to spin the alternator a little harder than idle revs to get much from it. Maybe you have warning lights in the vehicle, but a quick test with a multimeter should tell you where you stand with that.

I've an old 17" Asus ROG that's only ever run off inverter power. Never an issue, even without batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic