question

tobyfw avatar image
tobyfw asked

Procedure for updating DC wiring with running inverter

Dear community,

can you please point me to the recommended procedure for updating battery-side wiring (adding MPPT to an emergency power system) with minimum impact on the loads? Would it be enough to switch off inverting (physical switch on Quattro) and disabling charging (VEConfig), then switching of the (Pylontech) batteries? Or would this lead to the grid throughput be switched off anyway, as the Quattro is not designed to run w/o batteries?

The system is powering two flats, I would like to reduce impact for our tenants. The work itself will be done by a qualified electrician.

If switching off the batteries is not an option, maybe it is a good idea to add circuitry to optionally "bridge" the Quattro with a transfer switch, and then switch off the Quattro completely? It seems to me that this would ease maintenance. Any issues with that?

Thank you.

Multiplus-IIMPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerdc systemshutdown
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@tobyfw

having a bypass switch for the whole system installed is the way to go.

Switch the loads direct to grid/generator. Isolate AC in and out. Clients are not inconvenienced.

Shut down the whole system completely and work safely. Anything live while making upgrades can end in disaster.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.