question

bbsuper250 avatar image
bbsuper250 asked

Orion ignition switch

I am installing an Orion on my boat for charging the lithium House bank and already have a multi plus with the secondary charging port going to my start battery… Will the secondary charger trigger the auto engine stop/charge and turn the Orion on and if so can I wire it to work on the ignition switch only and turn off the engine shutdown detection?

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I'm assuming Primary charger of starter battery is engine alternator

Multiplus DC output is secondary charger of starter battery.

Orion can be configured to run automatically based on the charge voltage it sees from the starter battery/multiplus/alternator. At other times it will be off, drawing standby current only. This can be with or without engine on auto detect.

It can be wired to only turn on when switched on by the ignition switch using the H terminal.

It will stop charging when starter battery voltage drops below the value you set.

So if I understood your question, the answer is yes

If you have or install Victron Connect on your phone, one of the features is the demo library. In that you can select the Orion charger you're interested in and see/configure the selected charger.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bbsuper250 avatar image bbsuper250 commented ·
Sorry… I should have put more info in the question… I have a lithium house bank and a separate start battery my multi is primarily for the house but I have the secondary charge circuit connected to the start battery to maintain it while connected to shore power… i am installing an Orion between the start and house to charge the house from the alternator while underway… my question is… will the secondary charger voltage cause the Orion auto on/off to toggle the Orion when the engine is not running… and if so can I make the system work by manually turning the Orion on and off with the ignition and turning off the auto on/off from Victron connect?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ bbsuper250 commented ·
Penny dropped. I'm not sure what voltage the secondary port puts out, I'd expect it to be at the voltage of the house battery. I.e. charge voltage.

This would turn the Orion on.

Yes you can prevent this by setting the Orion to only charge when ignition is on, look at the H pin exple in the manual.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources