question

semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj asked

Multi RS Solar "Battery state of charge alarm" won't clear and won't start charging?

I let my batteries run down below 10% last night for the first time. Overnight the 'Battery state of charge' alarm triggered which I'd expected and this has happened lots of times before. The only difference this time was the batteries went down to about 8% and about 45V.

At 00:30 the unit is switched to 'Keep batteries Charged' which I do each night to charge with cheap electric, however it refused to charge. I tried all sorts this morning, checking all the voltage thresholds I could find in the system but nothing would persuade it to charge. Eventually, the external MPPT controllers charger the batteries to over 48V but it still has the alarm and won't charge. Eventually I power cycled the RS and it immediately started charging and the alarm cleared?!

I'm running version 1.11 firmware on the RS and the Cerbo GX is on 3.00~14. oh, I also have a smart shunt that the GX uses for battery monitoring rather than using the RS. I also don't have a BMS connected to the GX as they don't have external contacts (Eco-Worthy 12V 100Ah).

Any suggestions what caused this? Obviously I think the trigger was allowing the batteries to go below 10% but I'm worried this may happen again one day and I'll be left with flat batteries on the morning. The obvious candidate is a bug but I'm open to suggestions.

screenshot-20221228-172330-vrm.jpg

battery chargingMulti RS
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Semlohnhoj

What are the settings on the inverter itself?

0 Likes 0 ·
semlohnhoj avatar image semlohnhoj Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Battery setting:

screenshot-20221228-223316.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
semlohnhoj avatar image semlohnhoj Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Smart Shunt:

screenshot-20221228-223657.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj answered ·

This happened to me again last week. The RS batteries went down below 10% and then wouldn't charge back up. I eventually turned the unit off and on again and all was well.

Is there some way to get Victron to investigate this?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.