question

ross-hunton avatar image
ross-hunton asked

Wakespeed WS500 not fully compatible with VE.Bus BMS V2?

Hi All - I have a system with a Wakespeed WS500, Cerbo GX and VE.Bus BMS V2. I am receiving all the alternator performance data at the Cerbo as expected, but the WS500 remains in "Standalone" mode and isn't slaving to the BMS - and as a result goes into bulk charging mode immediately after startup even though the system was in float previously. It's also not coordinating with the MPPT or MPII if they happen to be charging as well.

Wakespeed support tells me that they don't know anything about that BMS and that to get full integration I have to purchase a Lynx BMS instead. That's a pretty significant investment on top of an already-expensive regulator. Does this sound accurate? None of this is clear from any of the documentation or marketing literature that I've seen.

BMSalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@Ross Hunton There is no integration between the WS500 and VE.Bus BMS v2. The Cerbo does not send anything via Ve.CAN that can control the WS500, therefore the WS500 will be in standalone mode, and follow it's own charge goals.

Wakespeed is correct, if you want full CAN integration then you need a BMS that sends CAN messages out, and that would be the Lynx Smart BMS. I am sure if you look at all the example schematics and VenusOS/Cerbo manual you will find that they all have the Lynx Smart BMS and none refer to the VE.Bus BMS V2.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

I have a WS500 but not yet installed and as far as I read I agree with you, the Lynx is the only Victron BMS with full bidirectional communication and control for the WS500. With the VE Bus BMS the WS500 has to look after its own charging so as you say you will get a short Bulk period even if the batteries were on float. You may be able to connect the allow to charge port on the BMS via a SolidSwitch 104 to the WS500 feature in wire to shut the WS500 down or force to float perhaps. I have not looked at this in detail yet but it is something I planned on looking at.

1 comment
2 |3000

ross-hunton avatar image ross-hunton commented ·
It seems like the charge phase messages that the ve.bus bms is sending to the Cerbo are not communicated out via the ve.can interface that the WS500 uses?

On the feature in connector, I was able to use the "allow to charge H" output from the bms directly without a solidswitch which seems to work just fine.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page