question

haig avatar image
haig asked

Is it Possible to Switch Between 3 Phase and Parallel Single Ops

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this. We have an upcoming system install with 3x Multiplus ii 5000/70 for an off grid install set up in 3 phase. The client needs 3 phase for about 4 hours per day. After that all loads are single phase with some bigger single phase equipment that will be used later in the day. These single phase loads are shop toold that maxes out a single Multiplus 2 ii 5000.

Can anyone imagine a way to have the system set up as 3 phase for part of the day and then paralleled for high load single phase loads the remainder of the time? I do realize that the actual wiring for the single phase will need to be creative if this is at all possible

I've racked my brain and don't believe it's possible other than increasing the number of parallel units but keeping the 3 phase.

Multiplus-II3 phaseAssistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Depends how big is big for your single phase loads, but isolating each large load to their own phase (so there are no other loads on those units) might mean you can get away with it.

Otherwise it is possible to have parallel Multis on one phase, but only single multis on the other phases, as in you don't need to balance the Multi's across all phases. You could have three Multi's on phase A, two multis on phase B, and only a single multi on phase C.

This is considered an advanced installation, so definitely want to have lots of Victron experience with both parallel and three phase installations in the field for a while before attempting it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
Good morning Guy Stewart,

I have more or less the same issue.

I use currently a MultiPlus-II 24/5000/120-50 and would need for two devices nearly twice the Power (It is an ESAB Rebel EMP235iC) of the MultiPlus-II, but I plan also to install some 400V 3-Phase motors.

If I understand you right, that I can buy 3 additional MultiPlus-II, configure 3 for three 400V 3P and then attach to one of them the forth MultiPlus-II?

This is a genius solution.

Even some of my customers would need such solution, because they are limited to a 24V system (have also a bunch of 24V equipment like me) but the 8000kVA Quattro is to small (3P OK, but not on 1P) hence four MultiPlus-II 5kVA solv the problem.

0 Likes 0 ·