question

peter79 avatar image
peter79 asked

UPS design with Victron

I had Victron for short time, but then was forced to dismantle the units and replace with other system. There is no Victron support in my country and also for this reasons installers does not want to install Victron. As my current system is significantly underperforming (but reliable) I'm searching to have again power that is closer to my needs, but with reliability of current solution.

Maybe someone able will be able to help. I would like to build UPS like install with battery, ideally charged by solar cells. There is cca 8kWp on the roof, battery I would like to have cca 10kWh and maybe also with generator. I need 3phase 240V minimum 5kW per phase.

Known prolems with Victron units:

1. Random shut down with "unknown error" message and also shut down all other units

2. By shutdown grid is disconnected

3. Long transfer times when grid fails causing shutdowns

4. Discharging battery under minimal SOC

5. Extra loud (mainly during night when charging batteries depleted by point2) on full power

I heard that Victrons are used on boats in large scale. How it is done that unknown error does not power down whole ship.

What I had was 3x 5kVA multiplus, BYD battery, 2x MPPT charger, very powerful but not reliable

What I have now is GoodWe 10kW + Pylontech, very reliable, but greatly underpowered and no scaling possible

ESS3 phasemultiplus in parallelups
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

All the points you have above just seem like the system was not well designed and not correctly configured. We have multiple 6-12 inverter systems in 3phase with no problems.
Change over happens in a few milliseconds, computers stay on, lights don't noticeably flicker.

1 Like 1 ·
2 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I do not know realy what others do, but I live in Estonia 100% Off-the-Gid (hs cost in total 25000€ (EU LEADER Project and nominated in 2020), while the Gridprovider Electrilevi requested more and have absolute no problem with Victron.

Now some comments to your notes:

Known prolems with Victron units:

1. Random shut down with "unknown error" message and also shut down all other units

Nothing in my system has ever shutdown for unknown reason since 2017.

Except, when my SOPzS batteries where 4 times down at 21,2V.

2. By shutdown grid is disconnected

can not say, because I have no grid

3. Long transfer times when grid fails causing shutdowns

Hmmm, if I run a Genset on AC1 and shut it down, my computer happyly continues working.

4. Discharging battery under minimal SOC

??? Maybe you should more carefully check the configuration

5. Extra loud (mainly during night when charging batteries depleted by point2) on full power

Yes it makes a silent HUMMING, but in 3m distance I can not more hear my MultiPlus-II 24/5000. I know Inverters which are much louder.

So now, tell us where your problem is!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthew Walsh avatar image
Matthew Walsh answered ·

Are you looking at getting a different installer to reinstall your victron system? which country are you in?

2 |3000