question

Pablo Noever avatar image
Pablo Noever asked

Can a European Multiplus II (230V) 24/3000/70-32 also deal with US Voltages 130V for charging?

Hi everyone,

I have a multiplus II (230V) 24/3000/70-32 installed in my van for charging with shore power and providing 230V for AC supply (on and offgrid). We are shipping the van to the US for a larger roadtrip. Now I am wondering, if this multiplus can also deal with 130V (60Hz) shore voltage for charging the 24v Batterie if I change the setting for AC in voltage and frequency into the range of the 130V and 60Hz? Of course, I cannot pass the AC shore power (!30V) to the consumers (230V), so only charging is possible. Is there a switch or any way this direct through passing of the shore supply to the vans grid can be disabled?

Or do I really need to temporarily install a step-up converter from 130V (60Hz) to 230V (50Hz)?

Thank you for your help!!! :)

Multiplus-IIchargervoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Pablo Noever

The 130V is out of voltage range. See the tech specs here. The frequency is not an issue if you check the wide frequency option in settings.

Use the Centaur for charging it has the wide voltage range.

it is not possible to connect to the lower voltage grid. If there was, there would be no way to not have it synchronise and pass that through to consumer loads anyway.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You need a transformer. Depending on your AC loads, probably no need to worry about the 50/60Hz conversion.

Victron have a good unit, the autotransformer https://www.victronenergy.com/autotransformers/autotransformers

2 |3000

Pablo Noever avatar image
Pablo Noever answered ·

Thank you both for the information. As it is just temporary I guess I will get some smaller/cheaper transformer. Anyway, the hook ups at the campsite do not provide that much power.

2 |3000

djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

You also can consider a dedicated charger for this trip to keep the batteries charged, and use the Multiplus for your local loads. Also, you still have your regular 50Hz available in the van

It will have some conversion lossess and you need to recharge the power used, but it probably is the easiest way. Just get a 110V suitable 24V charger.
A transformer might be an option but they usually are heavy and might trip a breaker due to inrush current.
Get a 120V / 24-16A or the IP43 24-25A charger. You need to make an external hookup but you can consider an exension cord as well and just not use your regular CEE hookup.

1 comment
2 |3000

Pablo Noever avatar image Pablo Noever commented ·
Good option, too! If I wouldn't have the multiplus already, the option of two dedicated devices an ip43 charger + phoenix inverter would be the allround solution.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic