question

zrtman avatar image
zrtman asked

Will the Victron Energy Smart BMS 12/200 work with NON Victron PO4 batteries?

I already have 3 Chin PO4 100ah batteries with BMS. Wondering if I can add Victron Energy Smart BMS 12/200?? Or what other options does Victron have for non-victron batteries?

This is an freightliner RV with 250 AMP altenator and 6 house batteries that I am replacing with 3 PO4.

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @zrtman

No, all Victron BMSes are only intended for use with Victron Lithium Smart Batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

albert avatar image
albert answered ·

I understand your Chinese PO4 batteries have inbuilt BMS.

I assume your old 6 batteries are lead acid.

I assume your 6 old batteries are charged by the alternator but have some kind of protection/isolation so you don't drain the starter battery. I assume the house circuit is separate from the starter circuit.

The new LiFePO4 batteries will probably need different charge voltages than the batteries you are replacing. If that is the case, you cannot charge directly from your alternator. An Orion DC DC charger would solve that issue.

2 |3000