question

minmin avatar image
minmin asked

BMV712 SOC early reset with ORION SMART

AGM 560Ah

The more I test the two ORION SMART TR 12-12s I have in parallel the more frustrated i get with the lack of real "smart" integration. See thread here as well: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/69199/vebus-orion-smart-tr-networking.html

It seems that the BMV-712 SOC gets an early reset when charging with the orions. I have it set to be reset at 4%A of total Ah of capacity, but this is a bit over 20A going in from the orions that resets it...

Recently i discharged to 75% SOC (roughly -140Ah) and then after 20mins of 20-25A going in from the Orions in parallel i am reset to 100%SOC....

Should i be lowering the 4% to 2%? Or will that have a negative impact on battery health?

Should i increase the time @voltage/amps from 5min

Should i have a different setting for summer vs winter? (Temp values for battery characteristics all put in already)

Is this all an issue stemming from a lack of communication between the Orion "SMART"s and the BMV 712/actual smart network? Really disappointed that with this and my "smart" 240-12v charger i will have an absolutely unknown SOC in winter where I need it to be more accurate.... Or am i misunderstanding the situation and settings of the BMV 712?

BMV Battery Monitororion-tr smart
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

It would be a good idea to post some screenshots of the BMV settings, also the battery charge settings for the Orion.

Seasons Greetings.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The 712 does not control charging, just reports based on measurements and settings. So it won't damage your batteries directly.

You need to identify what is triggering the synch to 100%.

Firstly use Victron Connect to look at the trends screen in the 712. Change one of the metrics to state of charge. Reduce the magnification until you have the synch on view. Compare this point to voltage, current. This will tell you what's triggering the synchronisation. Then reconfigure the 712.

Be aware that smart alternators could be causing this. In which case you need to tune the Orions.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

screenshot-2022-12-16-09-25-38-535-comvictronenerg.jpg

Here's a screen print example from my camper. It's been on AC for the last few days. But towards the start of the graph you see SOC Dropping, voltage dropping. Then charging starting. By sliding the cursor line, you see the values, with time at the top. And you see how voltage triggered the synch. But check current/time as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
minmin avatar image
minmin answered ·

screenshot-20221216-143552.jpg

Ok so i suppose here is the trigger. 5mins at or above set value and soc gets reset to 100. I get that the BMV is only reporting but at least form the smart network that the solar chargers are on I thought that those were reporting the values in/out to also estimate SOC? Or is it just out? 

2 comments
2 |3000

minmin avatar image minmin commented ·
So tail current was 4% -- 22.4A

And charged detection time was 5 min

So I've decreased this to 2% --- 11.2A and increased time to 10min.

Will this overcharge and potentially damage the 560agm bank?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Nope, won't overcharge.

Chargers work on voltage. Battery regulates current. As long as your voltage settings are correct in the chargers, all good. Chargers do not know state of charge of battery, so cannot report on it.

0 Likes 0 ·