question

craig-souter avatar image
craig-souter asked

resistive analogue gauge with cerbo

Hi, Does victron have the software/know how yet (or a product) that will allow me to use the existing analogue gauges in conjunction with the cerbo GX. I have tried wiring them in both series and parrallel with resistive sender unit (240-33 Ohm) and they go out of scale when gauges are turned on. Works fine directly to sender unit however i need to keep the old analogue gauges in play. No room for additional senders in tanks

Many thanks

Craig

cerbo gxgx devicetank monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

The problem you describe has some complications.

1. Most people would like the CerboGX input to display tank levels when ignition is off and they are away from their boat/RV/camper van.

2. When the ignition is on a voltage is developed across the sender but when ignition is off no voltage is present, and that is when you need it to operate.

The answer is to use the Victron Tank 140 to sense the voltage on the tank sender. You need a relay to switch to another identical “dummy” gauge when ignition is off. The dummy gauge can be housed in a box somewhere as it is only used to replicate the sender voltage when ignition is off. Sounds a bit complicated but it does work. That is how to resolve the issue.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Simple way to do what you are requesting is to install a pair of resistive tank sensor converters to the tank sensor, then connect one output to the analog gauge, the other output to the cerbo.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265508973517?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=O5qkOCzHR8S&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=czl7gmaeqak&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

2 |3000