question

rubicon avatar image
rubicon asked

Automatic Transfer Switch & Magnetic Breaker

I am getting ready to install a Victron Multi Plus 3K unit. I am using the current transfer switch for the shore vs generator power on a Winnebago Travato. The MultiPlus specifies the use of a magnetic or fuse breaker on the AC input side. Do I still install a breaker between the transfer switch and AC input or will the ATS provide the necessary protection? This is a 30 amp system.

input current
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jodi5d avatar image
jodi5d answered ·

A switch that is used to transfer power supply automatically from its main source to a backup power source once it detects a power outage within the main source is known as an automatic transfer switch or ATS. Whenever a power outage occurs within the main power system, then this switch invokes a standby power source like a UPS or uninterruptible power supply.
Once the automatic transfer switch is connected to both primary & backup power sources, then it acts as an electrical relay to serve as a mediator between equipment as well as the power supplies.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rubicon avatar image rubicon commented ·
Thank you for the information and describing how an ATS functions. If I am using a high quality surge protector with polarity check etc at the shore power connection, should I still install an additional breaker before the AC in connection on the MultiPlus?
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

It's probably a good idea to have a breaker ahead of the Multi's AC input (after the ATS). If the ATS has internal breakers of suitable size then you might get away without one between the ATS and the Multi.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic