question

Duncan Hall avatar image
Duncan Hall asked

Use of smart shunt to monitor the output of an orion

I am considering purchasing a 30A orion smart to charge my Lithium bank. I would like to monitor the current flow but cannot see any schematics showing connection of the smartshunt with an orion.

Does one side need to be attached to the negative bus bar or can it float and just monitor current. If I do this do I need the Isolated version of the Orion?

My system has a GX device a BMV700 a Multiplus and an MPPT which are all linked. It seems a pitty that the Otion does not have this level of integration.

SmartShuntorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

You will need the isolated version of the Orion to do this because in the none isolated version the current flow through the common negative wire is equal to the losses in the Orion, the charge current flows through the main negative cabling linking the two batteries. For the isolated Orion connect the Orion negative lead that is for the lithium bank to the load/system side of the new Smartshunt. The battery side of your new Smartshunt connects to the load/system side of the BMV700 shunt or to the negative bus bar if this connects to the system/load side of the BMV700 shunt. The positive connection for the new smartshunt is taken from the lithium battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pfleu avatar image
pfleu answered ·

So, that would give something like this ? Just to confirm...

1705532416497.jpeg

1705532416497.jpeg (122.8 KiB)
2 |3000