question

lawrence-craig avatar image
lawrence-craig asked

Orion Smart Output Voltage

whatsapp-image-2023-05-05-at-151136.jpegHi all,

I have installed an Orion Smart 12/12 - 30 connected from my starter and charging my Lithium bank. It is connected to the load side of my shunt so it's only my BMS on the battery side of the shunt.

One thing I am finding strange when it's running is that the output voltage on the Orion is showing as 14V whereas the shunt and battery smartsense is measuring the voltage to the battery as 13.5V. Can anyone explain this difference? I don't believe it's an issue but just curious from a technical standpoint. Screenshot is after running for 10mins.

For info, parameters are:

Abs Voltage: 14V

Float: 13.5V

Thanks.

SmartShuntorion-tr smartorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You probably have high resistance between the MPPT and the shunt. Poor connection, faulty cable etc.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lawrence-craig avatar image lawrence-craig commented ·
Can you explain this further? I am still getting 30amps charge to the battery.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ lawrence-craig commented ·
What cable size did you use between the Orion and the battery? How long is the cable?
1 Like 1 ·
lawrence-craig avatar image lawrence-craig Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
10mm2 and about 0.5m long. The shunt, Orion and battery are all right next to one another.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ lawrence-craig commented ·

With any electrical circuit, current flow results in voltage drop over any resistance. It can be poor connections, inadequate cables, fuses.

The formula is V=IR. At 30A and a drop of 0.5V the resistance you're looking for is 0.5/30, or 0.017 ohms, which might not seem a lot. Probably why @Matthias Lange - DE asked about the cabling, could easily be there.

If you see the voltage drop at low or zero current it's a measurement issue.

1 Like 1 ·