question

enfrafer avatar image
enfrafer asked

How to limit grid power

I am trying to limit the grid power in my new Victron ESS. According with my electricity supplier I can use a maximum power of 4.5 Kw. However, this morning I tried to charge my EV and I realized I was exceeding the 4.5 Kw so had to stop the charging...

ev-charge-exceeding-grid-limit.png

My installation configuration is an Victron ESS + Fronius like this https://community.victronenergy.com/storage/attachments/13127-layout.png.

I have an EV charger brand "policharger" which has been working very well so far. In fact, the policharger reads the home instant energy consumption and adjust the EV charge not to exceed those 4.5 Kw (configurable data). This is not working anymore because the battery charge is not being considered by my charger (there is a kind of an amperimetric clamp reading the home energy consumption). I could obviously tried to measure the home + battery energy consumption however I wonder if there is not something straightforward to limit the energy from the grid in the Cerbo.

Thanks

cerbo gxgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Uhm, under the inverter tab in the Cerbo, input current limit?

Lots of good stuff in the manuals if you choose to read them.

screenshot-2022-12-05-at-172027.png

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johnone avatar image johnone commented ·

Aside from policing whether or not people have read the (often dogs-dinner like) manuals to your satisfaction @nickdb , is it the case there is a common misunderstanding here concerning inverting/charging and pass through, i.e. passing through from the grid given both the charging current and the AC loads? A few wise words from you on this might help many on here, including myself!

2 Likes 2 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ johnone commented ·

Hi, we’re trying to reduce the noise from members who haven’t first tried to help themselves, it does have a habit of chasing away other members. Its the old teach a man to fish philosophy, so I do bang on about it in the hopes that all the work that goes into educational resources is used.

But enough about that.

In this case the OP needs to limit grid usage (i have the same issue at home with a cheaper, lower rated supply).

So you need to cap grid usage.

For a fixed install just set it in the inverter and be done with it. In mobile/variable applications, then it makes better sense to set it via the gx (making sure remote override is set on the inverter).

An ESS by default will always pull from batts first (unless you’ve hit minima or are scheduled charging etc).

When you hit battery/inverter limits the system will top up from grid to the maximum of the set grid limit up to the rating of the transfer switch (defined in both the model name and spec sheet).

In this case there is also a PV inverter which is adding to the AC output.

The system is very flexible, and I get all the available info can be a tad daunting.

(Guys videos at professional.victronenergy.com are well worth watching when starting down this path, it helps us all have a common reference language and makes it so much easier to help).

0 Likes 0 ·
johnone avatar image johnone nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Really interesting you're offering up a theory of learning. I hope you're open to the idea that, just like you have considerable expertise in one field, so there are people with considerable experience in another - such as how people learn. Not enough space here but safe to say that treating the manuals as 'educational resources', that 'noise from members' is because they haven't 'tried to help themselves' and that 'teach a man to fish' should be a guiding principle, are all propositions which could be worked on. For example, I'd hazard a guess that the manuals have much to answer for, much more than members who haven't tried. Hope that helps and if the manual makers are up for any kind of conversation then I'm willing.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ johnone commented ·
It is actually a continuous work in progress. As issues are found, or ambiguities, we feed it back and docs are updated. There have been many small changes that probably go unnoticed.

You are welcome to create a topic if you find issues or have suggestions.

The dvcc section was recently reworked substantially to improve its usefulness.

Victron really do put a lot of work In behind the scenes to continually improve this site, the docs and to add video content.

The broad team is very open to comments from the community, if things can be improved there is a will to do so, technology limitations aside.

1 Like 1 ·
enfrafer avatar image enfrafer johnone commented ·

Thanks a lot, seems to work quite well. As @Johnone mentions, maybe I was confused and did not want to limiting my full AC load, since my PV capacity is a bit higher than my grid limit (7.6 vs 4.5).

img-9654.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
img-9654.jpg (152.3 KiB)
enfrafer avatar image
enfrafer answered ·

Thanks a lot, seems to work quite well. As @Johnone mentions, maybe I was confused and did not want to limiting my full AC load, since my PV capacity is a bit higher than my grid limit (7.6 vs 4.5).

img-9654.jpg

2 |3000

Related Resources