question

jgerek avatar image
jgerek asked

Meter data transfer - RS485 to TCPIP > TCPIP to RS485

Hello Users,

I'm trying to connect 2 ET meters into the CCGX using one RS485 > USB.

I've studied al the threads here, my problem is a bit special.

I'm able to connect 2 meters ET340 (Modbuss addr1) and ET112 (Modbuss addr2) via one RS485 to USB, this is not the case, when I connect both directly to the RS485 wiring on the USB converter.

But situation in my house is a bit complicated, and one meter should be installed in the room, where I have no RS485 wiring, only home network ( TCP/IP ) is available. So I've decided to using RS485 to TCP/IP bridge (Protoss-PW11) on both sides of RS485.

Schema, which I wish to use:

1670234747721.png

Bridge is setup correctly ( TCP/IP server is communicating with TCP/IP client), when I connect to CCGX only ET112 Victron see it, When I parallel connect ET340, Victron lost ET112 and show in device list only ET340. In this constellation never see both meters. Strange!

When I use Carlo Gavazzi software in the end on the side of CCGX, I can see both Meters. No problem there.

In the bellow constellation, Victron can see both meters:

1670235140823.png

Do you know, where can be the problem?

Something special to setup in the bridge?

1670235418332.png

TCP IP Networking
1670234747721.png (106.7 KiB)
1670235140823.png (83.5 KiB)
1670235418332.png (41.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @jgerek

I've done a similar setup with just one meter converting to TCP/IP and back to RS485 (i used waveshare devices)

I believe it should work for two devices however you need to change the ID within Carlos gavazzi UCS software so that both meters aren't using the same ID to be able to use the one USB adapter with 2 meters. That way the cerbo gx can differentiate between the two RS485 meters.

If i find the article explaining I'll post a link however it should be an option within carlo gavazzi ucs software.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jgerek avatar image
jgerek answered ·

Hi Matt,

The ID it's not the case, I've explained that the Id's were changed:

..." I'm able to connect 2 meters ET340 (Modbuss addr1) and ET112 (Modbuss addr2) via one RS485 to USB, this is not the case, when I connect both directly to the RS485 wiring on the USB converter. "....

But problem started only when I connect second device via TC/PIP bridge :(

Carlos UCS see both devices ( device ET340 on addr 1 and device ET112 on addr 2 ) but CCGX can't see. Really strange situation :(

2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hii @jgerek

Sorry i missed that. My only other guess is maybe the TCP/IP bridge is changing the ID even if it's not shown in the settings. I'd guess it would change it to ID 1 if it was going to change it at all.

You might have already tried it but maybe make the device before the bridge ID 1 and device after the bridge device ID 2. With the logic that the bridge is making the device 1 regardless. If that doesnt work then im out of idea sorry.

2 |3000

jgerek avatar image
jgerek answered ·

Indeed it's really strange,

FYI it's not changing the id, when I connect in the end the Carlos Gavazzi UCS, the id's are correct. Both are showing in the UCS... Haha....

2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Ohh yeh forgot you mentioned that they already worked in UCS.

Have you tried it swapping them around ie whichever is before the RS485 to TCP is after it? I imagine if you've already got them installed it's a pain to mess with that.

Would also be interesting to see what happens if both meters go before the RS485 to TCP/IP adapter.

If they're installed already I imagine that'll be a pain to test but let me know if you do test those things/resolve it. I have a similar setup but I had a spare rs485 to usb so didnt try paralleling them.

2 |3000

apple047 avatar image
apple047 answered ·

have a look at the meter's firmware, I'm scratching my head with a third meter trying to add at the moment which has newer firmware and won't be detected by Cerbo but is fully operational in C.G. software. (no Modbus address conflicts)

meters are all on the same rs485 network.

is anyone aware of how to make firmware changes on ET112 meters?

the other option I can see may work is to have multiple USB converters for each bus line

(edit: scrap this, found out the 3rd meter is not supported on one bus line, although still think in your case scenario a second USB to rs485 will likely solve the issue since you mentioned each meter on its own works fine)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic