question

jmonteiro avatar image
jmonteiro asked

Autotransformer or MutiPlus-II 2x 120V

I am building a new home and I will be installing a 3-phase (230V/400V) using Victron Gerbo GX, 3 x MultiPlus-II, 12kWh solar array (with MPPT chargers) and a ~40kW (48V) battery, but I also need a little less than 2kVA at 120V, this is just to power my audio hifi equipment, for this I am planning to add an Autotransformer... but I was wondering, would it be possible to add another MultiPlus-II 2x 120V (US version) just to power my hifi equipment? This would provide me a standard 120V @ 60Hz instead of 120V @ 50Hz from the Autotransformer but this inverter will be connected only to the lynx 48V busbar.

multiple inverters
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I'd say a transformer would be your best approach and will most likely cost far less than a second inverter.

The Multi 2x120 is probably not the best choice for your hifi equipment. It would work but is really designed to accommodate 120/240 split phase power. You also don't need charging capability since you will be connecting to your main battery bank. I'd look at the Phoenix inverters. Many to choose from which would mainly depend on the amount of power you need.

Running 60 Hz in a 50 Hz environment might cause hum conflicts due the two frequencies. But if everything is designed well that might not be an issue.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jmonteiro avatar image
jmonteiro answered ·

Thank you so much Kevin! I actually looked at the Phoenix inverters before going with the MultiPlus-II 2x120V but I was unable to find one with that supports 120V and a 48V battery :(

Do you know a model that would do that?

Actually, I just found a MultiPlus 2000VA 120V that supports 48V, would that be a better option? It is the exact power I need :)

Thanks!

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Would probably be fine.
0 Likes 0 ·
jmonteiro avatar image
jmonteiro answered ·

Now sure why but the link does not seem to work... maybe it is just my browser, here is the link: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-MultiPlus-2000VA-120V-EN-.pdf

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic