question

samuil avatar image
samuil asked

Understanding Victron MMPT Readings

whatsapp-image-2022-12-02-at-173631.jpg

We will use bar chart '5 days ago' for reference.

Question 1: Yeild, does this mean my solar panel yielded on average 40Watts per hour or a total of 40Watts throughout the entire day? I have a 50W panel and would assume I should be yielding at least 200W per day i.e. 50W*4hrs = 200W

Question 2: Consumption, does this mean power draw consumed 40Watts per hour or a total of 40 watts in the day? My equipment only yields roughly 5watts (sunset switch disconnects load at night time).

The way I am interpreting it right now is that I consumed 40Watts per hour and the battery charged 40Watts per hour which doesn't seem like the correct interpretation to me - especially considering the battery was in float the majority of the day.

Note the battery is LifePo4 9Ah in capacity.

Your help would be much appreciated!

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarsolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Units - Watts is an instantaneous value, not a total. Watt hours, Kilowatt hours are cumulative values giving total power.

Panels will only generate power if there's a load on them. So if your batteries are fully charged and there's no load, yield will only be the float current to keep the batteries fully charged.

A 50W panel will only put out 50W under ideal conditions. In winter, you may get less than 10% of this. Ouds affect output a lot.

Yield is the total amount of power generated by the PV panel that day. It's not an average.

Consumption doesn't appear to be documented and this line doesn't appear for all MPPTs. I'll try and find out for you. Odd that it was higher than yield one day.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Consumption is the output on the load terminals of the MPPT. As the values are low, accuracy might be low.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic